Egg Laying worker? (Pics)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
One of my splits made 28 Apr has i think a laying worker.

The eggs i have seen look to be different sizes. Although some cells appear normal, i am suspicious.

I have taken a photo of a play cup which has several eggs. Something i have not seen before.

The regular pattern and eggs being deposited at the bottom of the cell suggests a newly mated queen just getting going. I would not be worrying.

All eggs I can see are also in the bottom of the cells. Laying workers are usually on the sides of the cells.

Sorry to interfere, i thought it wasnt normal to have more than 1 egg in 1 cell. Do newly mated queens lay 2-3 eggs per cell when starting out? As i see a few cells in there with 2-3 eggs in unless i need to go specsavers again.

Perfectly natural to have a few "accidents" whilst getting the hang of depositing eggs. Imagine the skill involved in correctly fertilising and laying one egg per cell every minute.

I would wait and see what happens. Look good to me for a new queen, too exact for a laying worker......soon know if they are all drones!!!

:iagree:

I wish some of mine looked like that....i have just dispatched a drone laying queen (virgin poorly mated)

Photo copyright of my friend Mr L...i'm holding the frame

Last edited:
:iagree:

I wish some of mine looked like that....i have just dispatched a drone laying queen (virgin poorly mated)

MM
Do you sacrifice the brood combs that they have messed up with drone cells?
Back to the midrib or complete removal and start with foundation?

Thanks

What happens to the extra eggs in the cells?

The workers either rearrange them with in the span of their abilities to support them or dump them.

PH

PH by rearrange do you mean they will move them to another empty cell?

PH by rearrange do you mean they will move them to another empty cell?

yes or to a play cup...if they are my bees.....had to knock down a few charged cups on newly mated queens this year....think the workers thought the delay in her laying was her fault not the poor mating weather

I had a cast on April 30th that I since realised was pretty small. My queen certainly laid multiple eggs in many cells initially. That brood is now hatching and I have seen no increase in drone numbers and new emergences seem to be workers, so I can only put forward she is well mated but took some practice to perfect the art of laying.

Seems far more uniform now. Just hope she produces at a higher rate that the bees that came with the cast are dying, else they'll not be big enough for winter

Most bee issues are settled via patience being exercised. :biggrinjester:

PH

here is what happened next, but the bees sorted it out, and they went on to be a healty colony

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back