Efb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EFB in Norwood South London. Our Association (Wimbledon) is worried. They had most of the hives in the Apiary destroyed about 10years ago. My bees (back garden) are OK so far.

I received the EFB warning from Fera this morning. The only site registered on the site link is one hive in SP70. After some research I have found the square for SP70 it is about 3km from the apiaries listed in the alert but only 1 km from my other apiary which is not mentioned. I fear this may not be the site. How often do they update the list? Do alerts go out immediately and the list updated weekly?
Does anyone know of any locations of EFB outbreaks in the Haddenham, Thame, Princes Risborough area.
What do I do. Inspect regularly and pray?
I have alerted the other Beeks I know of and I am just sitting here, fingers crossed, and quietly expecting the worst possible scenario.
Help and advice welcome!!!:willy_nilly:

What do I do. Inspect regularly and pray?

1. Keep an eye on unsealed brood any time you inspect, looking for twisted or dead or discoloured open brood.

2. Perhaps two 'disease inspections' each year, June and August, when you shake all bees off each frame with brood into a space in the brood box so that you can have a really clear view.

3. That June inspection is when you are most likely to find it and is the most important one. After the first major flow. If it is in the area you might find it one day. No need to panic.

4. Catch it early and (under the supervision of an inspector) a shook swarm is very likely to deal with it.

Praying? I'm not qualified to tell whether it will make any difference!

cheers

Gavin

Gavin,why would you need the Inspector to be present when doing a shook swarm for EFB ?

Gavin,why would you need the Inspector to be present when doing a shook swarm for EFB ?

Because it's the law. Apart from that, no reason at all if you know what your doing.

Last edited:
Yes, it is the law to tell the inspectors if you have suspicions of EFB (or AFB or SHB or Tropilaelaps). The 'under supervision' shook swarming can be at a distance rather than in person when it is done.

For the great majority of people it really is sensible as well as a legal requirement to get in touch with them. Earlier this year (the story was related in a blog elsewhere) I called them in, certain that the association bees I was looking after had EFB. Turned out they were showing very similar symptoms due to a high level of Varroa. I was aware of the Varroa (had just bought the colony) but not that the symptoms can be mimicked by Varroa that closely. It works the other way round more often - folk have the disease and don't recognise or admit it soon enough, then end up with most colonies infected and many needing destroyed. Act early, call in the experts.

Because it's the law. Apart from that, no reason at all if you know what your doing.

I may of got crossed lines in Gavins post.

I can fully understand you have to inform the bee inspector/Defra if you suspect EFB but was not aware he/she had to be present when you treated such as doing a shook swarm?

EFB within 3km

I just got the "EFB Confirmed within 3km" email from the NBU :(

I'm 99% sure mine are ok but tomorrow I'm going to have a serious look at all brood with bees shaken off to be 100% sure. All frames are current years due to bailey comb changes earlier this year.

I'm at Millington Hall Farm near Bucklow Hill in Cheshire.

I may of got crossed lines in Gavins post.

I can fully understand you have to inform the bee inspector/Defra if you suspect EFB but was not aware he/she had to be present when you treated such as doing a shook swarm?

The point is that you can't think that you have EFB, carry out a shook swarm or other treatment, and then inform them after the event so they turn up to inspect frames of foundation, what are they supposed to do?

If you think you have a notifiable disease you notify first, treatment comes later.

Latest posts

Back