EFB still around it seems 😞

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNir

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-15
Had a follow up visit from the Scottish BI today, 6 weeks after 2 hives were confirmed and destroyed.
Suspecting 3 more today, they took samples. I fear all will be back positive. One of those is my biggest hive, with 4 supers on.
If positive, they recommend destroying the ones positive and shook swarming the entire apiary.

They took samples from other beekeepers around me, suspected of EFB. They mentioned today that if not all are taking action, it’s likely to stay in the area.

I’m normally quite optimistic, but very frustrated currently. I just can’t have this year after year after year… Feels I need to be doing something drastic. But then again, it’s not just up to me.

Not my best beekeeping day today. Hope yours is better.

That’s heartbreaking. It must be so frustrating knowing you can’t be sure to prevent it in the future.

They took samples from other beekeepers around me, suspected of EFB. They mentioned today that if not all are taking action, it’s likely to stay in the area.
It must be awful knowing that despite the actions you take you're still at the mercy of others to some extent. Fingers crossed that your neighbours take it seriously and follow through with their own responsibilities.

Presumably they can force any on Beebase to take action? It's the non-registered ones that might be the problem?
Sure. Beebase aren’t aware of those not registered. What I said is also related to those colonies (in an infected apiary) which aren’t showing clear signs. They say it’s still likely to have EFB at a sub clinical level.
So they say it’s important that all beekeepers in the area take similar action on all colonies within their apiaries (ideally destroying confirmed and shook swarming all the rest)

Sure. Beebase aren’t aware of those not registered. What I said is also related to those colonies (in an infected apiary) which aren’t showing clear signs. They say it’s still likely to have EFB at a sub clinical level.
So they say it’s important that all beekeepers in the area take similar action on all colonies within their apiaries (ideally destroying confirmed and shook swarming all the rest)
When the SBI inspected my colonies recently I asked for his view on unregistered hives locally. He said he was always happy to take reports of local colonies. My area seems clear (I was on the edge of the reporting area I think) so I left it at that, but if I was in your position I would be listing all the local hives I knew of

When the SBI inspected my colonies recently I asked for his view on unregistered hives locally. He said he was always happy to take reports of local colonies. My area seems clear (I was on the edge of the reporting area I think) so I left it at that, but if I was in your position I would be listing all the local hives I knew of
No question I’ll let them know of any apiary in the area I know of.

I have a similar situation. The area of one of my apiaries has had a history of EFB but I have always tested negative. This year I was positive and the SBI is coming back on 22nd to retest. If he finds either of the others are positive I’ll stop using that apiary. Like you I couldn’t cope with the heartbreak every year.

I have a similar situation. The area of one of my apiaries has had a history of EFB but I have always tested negative. This year I was positive and the SBI is coming back on 22nd to retest. If he finds either of the others are positive I’ll stop using that apiary. Like you I couldn’t cope with the heartbreak every year.
Hope it goes well for you Neil.

For me, I’ll get the results on Monday, but expecting it to be positive. It’s my home apiary and having other beekeepers around. We will need to come together and decide what to do.

Crossed my mind destroying all colonies, cleaning all the equipment over winter and starting fresh next year. I just can’t go through this again and again. Colonies that were ‘clean’ in May are now suspected…

For me, I’ll get the results on Monday, but expecting it to be positive. It’s my home apiary and having other beekeepers around. We will need to come together and decide what to do.

Crossed my mind destroying all colonies, cleaning all the equipment over winter and starting fresh next year. I just can’t go through this again and again. Colonies that were ‘clean’ in May are now suspected…
Why don’t you drop a mail to Murray with his numbers/experience am sure he can offer some practical advice. Even strains of bee as some are more hygienic/susceptible than others. I guess if your in an area that has background efb then even a clean slate may only prove temporary. Good luck Ian

Have you asked your Bee Inspector what particular strain of EFB were highlighted in the test results? over 40 different strains have been identified so far and some are almost impossible to eradicate, with shook swarming having no effect on it.
Are you also undertaking whole apiary S/S or just addressing the infected colonies?

I’m currently waiting for the results, expected Monday, the head of the Scottish BI took it, so I’m expecting this to be positive. I can ask re exact strain.
last year I S/S 6 colonies. This year in May, I had 2 positives and destroyed those. Now 3 other colonies are suspected. Very difficult to spot, the BI’s spotted single larva they think is suspected…

BI says they believe the local association brought infected colonies from Perth a few years ago, then it spread in the region.

Beekeeping should be enjoyable… at a time that everything blooms, I’m dealing with EFB, for a 2nd year now.

Fingers crossed for you Guy. Hearing that elevated buzz dying away after pouring petrol on the colony was heartbreaking and the continuing worry that others might suffer the same fate will stop me continuing in that location if I get another positive.
An out apiary is easily given up but a home apiary would be devastating! My thoughts are with you for Monday. Good luck. 🤞🏻

EFB is not a problem If you get efb-resistant bees to your apiary.
Interesting you say that. I mentioned this to the head of Scotland BI (you mentioned this before), he disagrees…
Another interesting fact is I bought several Q’s this year. None of those new Q‘s is EFB suspected. All 3 suspected are my (local) Q’s.

Yes it’s afb but….https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298931948_Resistance_to_American_foulbrood_disease_by_honey_bee_colonies_Apis_mellifera_bred_for_hygienic_behavior

From NBU/Defra (admittedly 2011)

"There is some evidence to suggest that there may be some genetic resistance to EFB but as yet there are no known lines or breeds that are resistant to EFB. A project assessing UK races of bees did not find any single EFB resistance genetic provenance"

From NBU/Defra (admittedly 2011)

"There is some evidence to suggest that there may be some genetic resistance to EFB but as yet there are no known lines or breeds that are resistant to EFB. A project assessing UK races of bees did not find any single EFB resistance genetic provenance"

It is UK which does not accept that you can heal EFB by changing the queen. In other countries it is a routine. Like Australians say, EFB is more some stress phenomenom than disease.

Defra says in 2011 that there is some evidence...
Why other countries say, that cure is based on resistancy. Why British beekeepers accept only information, which is produced in Britain?

Whay heck. EFB is very old disease and "there are some evidencies".
Then it is drawn again hygienic bees, which clean sick larvae. But if the hive is immune, it will not have sick larvae.

If you keep even slightly EFB sensitive colonies in your apiary, they will deliver bad genes to the area.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back