EFB still around it seems 😞

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes .... but try finding and justifying the 'certain circumstances' .... very ambiguous statement ...
However ambiguous it is the fact remains that using antibiotics is permitted as an authorised treatment. How often it is used in preference to killing and burning or shaking and stirring as a treatment is a mute point.

I cant help if you cannot help your self by using open mind. Your are just picking stupid things from advices. Perhaps it makes you blessed.

I live in Finland and last time I had EFB 55 years ago in the mixtures of Black bee x Caucasian.

It remained unclear, do you have EFB in your hives Boston?
Oh, please don’t insinuate it has anything to do with black bees being more susceptible, we will never get the key board worriers of this page 😊 😊

Yes .... but try finding and justifying the 'certain circumstances' .... very ambiguous statement ...
However ambiguous it is the fact remains that using antibiotics is permitted as an authorised treatment. How often it is used in preference to killing and burning or shaking and stirring as a treatment is a mute point.

Or encourage more openness and in the long term eradicate the problem maybe, just a thought :)

Drove around yesterday to check someone who I thought was keeping bees. She has 3-4 hives there, could see bees flying. The BI‘s (I believe) have no idea there’s an apiary there. About 1km from my home apiary.
This lady has a role within the local association, or used to…
Took pics and will provide the BI’s with this information.

BI’s didn’t mentioned this during the last couple years. Not once.

I don’t think EFB or AFB can be eradicated until we have some kind of compulsory registration coupled with whole apiary destruction.

Chasing either of these diseases around a county or apiary year after year is not working.
Personally, I think the obsession with shook swarming is the problem.
Just shook swarming the infected colony may 'cure' it (depending on what variant foulbrood they have) but that causes confused nurse bees to beg their way into neighbouring colonies hence risking the spread, whole apiary shook swarming will just end up with bees mixing and matching even more. It would be a step in the right direction I think if they started compulsory destruction of any individual colony found to be infected would be a step in the right direction as there is always the temptation to 'save' the poor dabs.
Had quite a discussion on the subject during my DASH visit on Friday, I honestly said (giving I haven't been unlucky to have met the issue in my apiaries) that if I was given the choice, on detecting foulbrood, I was minded to not faff around but destroy that colony, 'But but' was the reply 'what if we only find one singe infected cell?' so you see the mindset is there to bang our heads against a wall for a few times before finally biting the bullet. My answer was still yes BTW

BI’s didn’t mentioned this during the last couple years. Not once.
I think it's more an instrument they may offer to a commercial looking at heavy losses which may cost the business. rather than sporadic single apiary keepers dotted here and there.
In fact, I think that's the last time it was offered.

I understand what you mean, but automatic whole apiary destruction for EFB would just drive beekeeping to be an "underground" hobby, which would achieve the opposite of what we want.
Mandatory destruction of the infected colony would be a good start though

That's quite worrying, if you have no way of knowing about EFB incidence in your area or country. A public register of EFB and AFB locations seems to me to be a very necessary thing, for beekeepers to be able to consider EFB management in an informed way.

Nothing to worry, because I have not seen it during last 55 years. It is not my business to know everyone's diseases in my country.

Drove around yesterday to check someone who I thought was keeping bees. She has 3-4 hives there, could see bees flying. The BI‘s (I believe) have no idea there’s an apiary there. About 1km from my home apiary.
This lady has a role within the local association, or used to…
Took pics and will provide the BI’s with this information.
Well done you :)

Personally, I think the obsession with shook swarming is the problem.
Just shook swarming the infected colony may 'cure' it (depending on what variant foulbrood they have) but that causes confused nurse bees to beg their way into neighbouring colonies hence risking the spread, whole apiary shook swarming will just end up with bees mixing and matching even more. It would be a step in the right direction I think if they started compulsory destruction of any individual colony found to be infected would be a step in the right direction as there is always the temptation to 'save' the poor dabs.
Had quite a discussion on the subject during my DASH visit on Friday, I honestly said (giving I haven't been unlucky to have met the issue in my apiaries) that if I was given the choice, on detecting foulbrood, I was minded to not faff around but destroy that colony, 'But but' was the reply 'what if we only find one singe infected cell?' so you see the mindset is there to bang our heads against a wall for a few times before finally biting the bullet. My answer was still yes BTW
Every minute that passes another drone will possibly leave to enter another hive locally, they drift and carry for miles.

How often are your hives inspected by a government bee disease inspector Finman. out of interest? When was the last time?

Never. We do not have such system.
Beekeeping is not so important thing in Finland that we need to go after each others. It works very well in this way.

Lets look now your Covid disease and football final happening. You will get thousands of new Covid cases from that happening. Is your system so good as you believe? Where are your inspectors? It will take many weeks to clear out what happened this evening in the final.

Last edited:
He
I don’t think EFB or AFB can be eradicated until we have some kind of compulsory registration coupled with whole apiary destruction.

Chasing either of these diseases around a county or apiary year after year is not working.
Here we go again☹

Lets look now your Covid disease and football final happening. You will get thousands of new Covid cases from that happening. Is your system so good as you believe? Where are your inspectors? It will take many weeks to clear out what happened this evening in the final.

I completely agree. But nothing to do with EFB, so let's not get dragged into that conversation on this thread.

Latest posts

Back