East Devon - EFB warning and hungry bees...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Hi All,

I just had an EFB warning for East Devon and checking my hives today 2 were very light, in urgent need of food - had plenty last week, but all so dry here - might be worth checking if you haven't lately...

Same on the stores front down here, very low, fed them last thing at dusk,
check on water availability too.

I found yesterday that undrawn brood foundation was buckling in the heat. Will put matches under crown board to raise them a tad for better circulation whilst this baking weather remains. Also have put some ply on top of tin roofes to slow down heat conduction.

Think of your bees health before you spark up the BBQ. Micro climate heat can be much higher than the forecast gives out, where I am by a good 5-6 degrees.

unclesteen

I found yesterday that undrawn brood foundation was buckling in the heat.

How hot is it in there? Never had that happen. I think there is another reason for the buckled foundation. OMFs are soo good in that repect.

RAB

I found yesterday that undrawn brood foundation was buckling in the heat.

How hot is it in there? Never had that happen. I think there is another reason for the buckled foundation. OMFs are soo good in that repect.

RAB

It was 27 here yeaterday in Bedfordshire. No wind, No clouds...Just Sun.

I too have OMF's. Garden thermometer's read around 28 degrees, much cooler a couple of miles up the road, probably warmer in the hives, that was why I mentioned micro climate.

I shall put a thermometer above the crown board today and see just how hot it gets. Will let you know.

unclesteen

Above the crownboard? Is that where you keep your foundation frames? No wonder they are buckling!

RAB

Foundation routinely buckles here if put on at this time of year unless drawn very fast. however bees seem to manage just fine with shade temperatures of up to 40°C and many of my hives are in full sun so you burn your hand if you put it on the metal roofs.

I really do think sometimes people fuss too much, they are bees and used to life in the wild and how many people with colonies short of stores have taken honey away from them this year?

Chris

Have to agree with you icanhopit. It's 29C outside and the temperature below the crownboard 30C. I suppose the truth is the bees are getting on with what they do best, so now I'll get on with what I do best....Bottoms up.

unclesteen

I thought 86 f is 30 c or it always used to be

I promise to re-read before posting....silly me read it as disagree....bottoms up!

Back