Drip tray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Just started taking off this years (bumper) crop. As there are so many supers to store and they naturally drip honey, I was wondering what others use to stand their supers on before extraction
S

I have a box size frame, 4 cm high, and a plastic sheet on it. It makes a square pool, when plastic hangs on frame.

Last edited:
Gardening trays that protect car, extraction room, storage shed for extracted wet supers etc. Can also function as emergency roof.

Later addition of a photo of the 59cm square tray.

95a-g45b-square-garden-tray_10.jpg

Last edited:
Gardening trays that protect car, extraction room, storage shed for extracted wet supers etc. Can also function as emergency roof.

We have couple of plastic trays and they work okay but finding one that’s fits a super has been difficult as they are usually too large. Think and old floor with a small drip tray at entrance may be a good solution
S

Bee box size tray is easy to clean. My plastic trays have each about 1 kg honey in spring, when I start to use boxes again. It is not good if it spreads along wider area.

Last edited:
We have couple of plastic trays and they work okay but finding one that’s fits a super has been difficult as they are usually too large. Think and old floor with a small drip tray at entrance may be a good solution
S

I have what jimmy has and it works for me. If you want something smaller that fits your supers just buy a poly roof

Lakeland plastic do a big tray intended for soaking/cleaning oven racks.
Or a large grey plastic catering tray. Available in a range of sizes from catering or wholesale suppliers.

I use an upturned roof, at the moment I have one poly roof and one galvanised roof in use.
I use new ones for better hygiene.

I have what jimmy has and it works for me. If you want something smaller that fits your supers just buy a poly roof

Me too ... I've got a couple of them .. on for the supers about to be spun and one for the ones that have been spun out. Honey all over the kitchen floor is grounds for divorce in our house so these trays are worth their weight in alimony ! I also have a kitchen floor sized piece of heavy duty plastic (damp proof membrane from a builders merchant) that goes under the extractor.

My extractor stands on a washable floor mat. All spills are absorbed and it goes in the washing machine when I’m finished

I laid some flattened cardboard boxes down, dispose of afterwards.

I use solid cover boards without porter escape holes, so a spare cover board below and one on top makes collected supers bee proof and easy to store/carry.
Putting the bottom one bee space up turns it into a drip tray.

Latest posts

Back