Double wall hives for the winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Does anyone double wall their hives for the winter
I have insulation above the crown boards but I was thinking about building a wooden cover for the hives. It would have solid wood front, sides, back and roof with a slot cut close to the hive entrance for the bees to leave and re-enter
It would be free standing and about 2 inches wider,taller, deeper than the hive and stand so it just lowers down over it and removes just as easily
The idea is simply to give an extra layer of protection from the elements - similar to a WBC but perhaps not as pretty - and also extra protection from the woodpeckers.
I would leave it on from about now until late winter but remove it just as spring is starting so the hive catches the early sun and they ready to go as early as possible
For the cost of a few sheets of marine ply and 2x2 I hope to get the advantage of WBC without the late start disadvantage
I am presumably re-inventing the wheel, has anyone done this - if so would you do it again?

I am presumably re-inventing the wheel

You are....but make it out of PIR....celotex,kingspan,recticel. and you're on a winner

Thanks

Thanks for your comments and the links to the earlier threads
Celotex tea cosy it is then!
(It'll be warmer in the hive than in my front room at this rate)
Cheers
Jack

Alternatively you could just buy yourself a poly hive rather than reinventing one.
Nahhh.......who would want to spoil all those evenings spend messing about in your "shed".

I think I prefer insulated bonnet over wood hive.....my poly haves are easily damaged with the hive tool. It's a shame the bonnets are so ugly.

You could use a wood laminate over the top of the cosys so they look attractive.

I've not had problems with damage to poly hives with my hive tool. Had sheep nibbling them when I didn't fence the critters far enough away. I think they thought they were a salt lick.

You could use a wood laminate over the top of the cosys so they look attractive.

I've not had problems with damage to poly hives with my hive tool. Had sheep nibbling them when I didn't fence the critters far enough away. I think they thought they were a salt lick.

We've had blue tits thinking the foil tape was a milk bottle top!

Back