Doorstep honey sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epcot

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Are the doorstep sales allowed by law in your country?
Are the small beekeepers satisfied with the production and sales that way?
Possible to live with honey production?

Are there many honey buyers/distributors and what are the prices they offer?

Are the doorstep sales allowed by law in your country?
Are the small beekeepers satisfied with the production and sales that way?
Possible to live with honey production?

Are there many honey buyers/distributors and what are the prices they offer?

hello, and welcome to the forum.

yes, many beekeepers sell locally (on doorstep / local market) here, and prices are generally good!!

I can't speak for the 'commercial' beekeepers (honey farmers) in the UK, but one will be along shortly to answer that part of the question, no doubt

welcome to the forum, it is not illegal to sell door to door in the UK although I have not had any for some years, I sell all mine in work

Last edited:
most UK honey is sold doorstep/direct with some supplying to local small retailers.

(obviously by most i am referring to most beek's honey - not sure if total amateur production is more, less or equal, to commercial production).

To clarify, in case there's any confusion caused by language difficulties, it is legal to sell from your own doorstep, but going door to door is a different matter. And there are strict regulations about labelling and hygiene.

Here in France you have to register as a business if you sell any at all to anyone that isn't family.

A full living can be made if you have about 300 hives or more.

Prices are about €6 to €7 a kilo for normal honey.

Chris

... it is legal to sell from your own doorstep, but going door to door is a different matter.

Not so - it's still legal:
From the https://www.gov.uk/pedlars-certificate website:

"Certificates are not required by commercial travellers, sellers of fish, fruit, or victuals or people selling at markets or fairs."

"Victuals" are defined as anything which provides nourishment - so includes honey. The only legal requirement is that it must be fit for human consumption, and be appropriately labelled.

LJ

Door step selling, what ever it is is very unefficienf. Nowadays no one sells om door in Helsinki Finland. We have outdoor codes mostly in flats and there is no passing.

Romanian gibsies have made lots of robbings in homes they just come in and take money from weak people. They come through locked doors, men and women.

There are too other robbers who ask something and want to see inside what is there. Our life have changed much in this meaning.

So you understand, odd people are not wellcome.

20 years ago I delivered papers where I told about my honey. It was poor business. In capital city people do not bother to come to others door and bye something.

Not so - it's still legal:
From the https://www.gov.uk/pedlars-certificate website:

"Certificates are not required by commercial travellers, sellers of fish, fruit, or victuals or people selling at markets or fairs."

"Victuals" are defined as anything which provides nourishment - so includes honey. The only legal requirement is that it must be fit for human consumption, and be appropriately labelled.

LJ

You're spot on. I stopped reading at s2 of the 1871 Pedlars Act, thinking I had the answer. s23 exempts those selling victuals.

The moral of the story is, always read to the very end.

And if you're going from door to door, you're not a street trader, so you don't need a licence from the local authority.

And on the topic of a pedlar selling victuals, I fear the French onion seller who was a regular visitor to Leeds every autumn is no more. I haven't seen him cycling around for several years now. Do his counterparts still turn up anywhere else?

Seems to me this is one of the few things the wretched EU have not got to grips with. Yet!

Work places are good to sell honey. Palls tell to each other and gather list of honey. It is easy to sell then.

Door to door system doe not work here.

I used to sell mainly at work but being retired some 10 years or more ,I rely on selling from my door :D

ALIM0004-1.jpg

One or two old colleagues still call around as indeed do valued old customers.
VM

Old , middle aged quite young but not very young :D .
Most are past the cold drink age and are into hot tea and coffee :hat:
VM

Latest posts

Back