Dog and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturn,
You said in your original post that you are doing a course in January. Is there any practical involved as most if not all bees are slumbering at this time? If there is no practical then have you plans to join up with a local group to get some in March/April/May time?

Yeah, there's a practical aspect to the course, but that starts a few months later when the weather is warmer. It's all being run by my local BKA, so they know what they're doing, presumably. It's great because they have their demonstration hives right next to my uni!

Never mind dogs and bees, found a good way to insulate the hive, Cats and Bees. By the way my dog is always out when I open up the hive but never comes to close, mind you she is a border collie so is brighter than the average dog. A new debate is on the way. Still working out how to up load pictures to the forum, see my album for the picture! Steven

Last edited:
album.php

Well my black dog has never been stung but our sandy coloured one is always getting picked on by bees and wasps. Explain that one black haters.....................:)
It might be more smelly (no joke)

Grub

Prob'ly the best thing is to buy a 'ghillie' suit from an ex SAS and hide your dog in that.

A whiff of winter this afternoon in S London - all the bees rapidly withdrew from the entrance and out of sight from underneath my glazed cover board.....

....I've just read a book on the Battle of Stalingrad - where the German general staff ignored the first whiff of winter!

richard

OK, have to add my recent experience.

We (well, my wife really) have a pedigree mongrel Jack Russel type Dachshund(?) cross terrier. It perpetually snaps at flies, in or out of the house. However, and I don't know why, she does not snap at the odd bee that might be in the house and is very reluctant to venture out if there are a lot of bees by the back door (bees collecting water for instance). I presume she is really rather more clever than I think she is, and has learned quickly from experience!

Regards, RAB

RAB

...and she's got fighter pilot's 20/20 vision to identify a bee in mid flight!

she's got fighter pilot's 20/20 vision

Possibly, but probably not as she is not so successfull at actually getting the flies. Her hearing, however, is very acute.

Regards, RAB

it depends on the temperment of the dog. my parents dog for example is mad. i was diging up a wasps nest and not only would she not retire to a safe distance she was snapping them out of the sky and helping me dig. no fear or respect for stings. a friends terrier will attack both bees and wasps untill she has managed to eat about 6 and then sit quite happily quivering on the couch when she stops quivering she will eat a few more. i think it comes down to what the dog thinks of the whole affair. if they latch onto the idea that its a game then you are in trouble.if its just sore they learn fast.
You should have seen when i first got the beehive and one of our cats put her nose to the enterance to see what was going on. she did the 1/2 mile very fast and the dopler effect was astonishing meooooooow

My first Springer Spaniel, was trotting around in a forest once, then came out shaking his head. He was the most chilled springer ever btw. Anyhow he looked confused and as he got closer I saw about 30 wasps on his head. Poor sod I belted them all dead whilst trying not get him stung or make him think I was hitting him. I was panicked. Anyhow, carried him home as he laid down looking dopey. Sat with him all day and he just slept and slept. Eventually got up for dinner and was right as rain.

That was a few years ago - now I have a Springer. Jesus H Christ what a difference a bloodline can make. This one is nought to frenzy (black and white this time with lots of spots) mad as hell and worse. When he goes mad his back legs seem to join and he does his (what we call) tripod run. This is ludicrously fast running jerky darting at blurring speeds. Totally mad but beautiful. Anyhow under no circumstances will he be any where near the hives ever. In doors whining through the glass. AND the hive will be well fenced off in a remote out of site area of our land.

Now chickens ...they are a different matter....

We have 5 bantams and our cockeral will sit and watch wasps go by and then quick as a flash snap them in half. He doesn't eat them but just enjoys Target practice.
They never stand a chance.

Sam

Now chickens ...they are a different matter....

We have 5 bantams and our cockeral will sit and watch wasps go by and then quick as a flash snap them in half. He doesn't eat them but just enjoys Target practice.
They never stand a chance.

Sam

Now that's a video just waiting to be shot!

Can he be trained to discriminate and leave bees alone? If so, lots might want him for hive wasp protection duties or to train him on hornets as well!

Regards, RAB

Storm, thanks for describing your spaniel's reaction/recovery as all the most likely dogs to get stung around my bees are spaniels.....I've often wondered what would result if one of them were there at a bad moment!

I hate thread hijackers...but...Little 'Dippy' (that's his name!) does only seem to take wasps and flies. Bees all seem to get away scot free.
I'll have to have a word with him and discuss Hollywood with him. He does react very quickly and when he has split a wasp in half he throws the two pieces in opposite directions.

Sam

Storm, thanks for describing your spaniel's reaction/recovery as all the most likely dogs to get stung around my bees are spaniels.....I've often wondered what would result if one of them were there at a bad moment!

My 2 springers have been stung once a piece - now they treat the bees with lots of respect :). Same goes for other dogs that have visited.

Dave

I have two energetic lurchers, day 1 and 2hrs of having first nuce first girl gets stung when she insists on putting nose into entrance hole. 2nd day the next one gets a lovely ear piercing!!

To my knowledge niether of them have been stung since. both know when Ihave my suit on that coming near to hives is not advisable. they usually just sit about 5 meters away and watch until the lids go back on.

I gave both of them Citrazine tablet when they got stung just to be on the safe side.

Would say it depends on how you dog behaves just see how you go, but as dd said an angry bee wont stay inside the fence and will go for anything that moves!

Latest posts

Back