Dog and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Cocker spaniel howls whenever I open the hive. He doesn't like the sound.
Unfortunately bees get stuck in his big ears and now he is really scared of them so doesn't venture near the apiary.

Ben P
It was the same with my cocker spaniels black ones used to get stung all the time and bees traped in the fur , two gold ones never got stung at all.
I would never keep a dog out all the time though as my two black cockers would be hunted down by the bees on many occasions even when the were just sunbathing half asleep so needed the bolt hole of the house.
Also one was allergic and would vomit , normaly in the house !!.

Grub

It was the same with my cocker spaniels black ones used to get stung all the time and bees traped in the fur , two gold ones never got stung at all.
I would never keep a dog out all the time though as my two black cockers would be hunted down by the bees on many occasions even when the were just sunbathing half asleep so needed the bolt hole of the house.
Also one was allergic and would vomit , normaly in the house !!.

Grub

Yeah, I believe bees are attracted to the colour black for some reason. That's why beekeeping apparel is white.

Saturn,

bees are attracted to the colour black for some reason

As a photographer, you should know that black is not a colour, only an absence of reflected, or otherwise, visible light in the case of us humans. The colours the bees may see may well be a reflected UV wavelength/frequency. The bees must either see some other wavelength/frequency or be attracted by nothing.

RAB

Saturn,

As a photographer, you should know that black is not a colour, only an absence of reflected, or otherwise, visible light in the case of us humans. The colours the bees may see may well be a reflected UV wavelength/frequency. The bees must either see some other wavelength/frequency or be attracted by nothing.

RAB

Bees definitely sense black, and they would do so as an absence of colour. Whether the black material would reflect UV is neither here nor there; bees sense the absence of colour (i.e. black) as a threat to their colony, and are therefore more aggressive towards black objects. Just because something an object doesn't reflect a certain wavelength (or all wavelengths), doesn't mean it can't be detected on that wavelength. If its surroundings do reflect that wavelength, then it will be detected as a dark spot due to the absence of light. If this weren't the case, we wouldn't be able to see black either. Bees eyes work more or less the same as ours, but skewed towards (and beyond) the blue end of our visible spectrum. Though their eyes are differently constructed from ours, most of the principles of operation remain the same. Seeing black is merely a matter of contrast.

can anyone tell me when children become people?

Keep waiting...my daughter is 24 and still changes to a 12 year old at the door, but my son, 23 is as mature as all get out and has to be reminded to act his age!! I always thought, get them to 18 and relax...I still dream...I guess because I was married at 19 I expect them to be similar but times change...

Love that bit:.) can anyone tell me when children become people? My 19 y/o seems to be a little way off still although shes getting there, also have a nearly 9 y/o!

Can't say just yet because we're still waiting for it to happen (ours are still only 35 and 33!).

Saturn,

Seeing black is merely a matter of contrast.

That is much better. Rods (as opposed to cones) being excited more, less, or not at all in the case of black.

But you still seem to think that black is actually a colour?

we wouldn't be able to see black either

Perceive' might be a far better term than 'see' because, factually, there is nothing to see (excite our retinal nerve endings) as black items absorb our full spectrum of visible light!

So we cannot 'see' if there is 'no light' to be 'seen'.

RAB

Is that why I got stung the other day, just taking a photo in the fruit cage while wearing black trousers???

Cautionary

Although my dog wanders close to my hives, Iwould not open them up when my dog is around.

I know many people will say their bees are very gentle but even the nicest bees can and do turn nasty and will attack anything near them. We have the advantage of wearing a suit when checking hives, dogs dont.
Cheers
S

Saturn,

Seeing black is merely a matter of contrast.

That is much better. Rods (as opposed to cones) being excited more, less, or not at all in the case of black.

But you still seem to think that black is actually a colour?

we wouldn't be able to see black either

Perceive' might be a far better term than 'see' because, factually, there is nothing to see (excite our retinal nerve endings) as black items absorb our full spectrum of visible light!

So we cannot 'see' if there is 'no light' to be 'seen'.

RAB
Yeah, by 'see' I mean 'percieve' and not literally 'trigger off a cone or a rod'.

I remember reading an article by Ted Hooper that referenced an itemised analysis of the bee stings in a fatally stung Dalmation that had 'annoyed' a beehive.

Can't remember exactly but there were many more stings in the black patches than in the white background....

Large black mammal = bear or similar = hive robbing / destruction = sting the bar steward before we cop it!

Good for white clad beeks, not so good for black labs.

Inherrited auto response is a wonderful thing:)

if they can see the black labs . :0)

yes exactly! or they can see the apparent hole in the time space continium in the shape of a black hole, I mean black lab, I mean an absence of reflected light lab, I mean .....:smilielol5:

so I think it's fair to say that's black and white

For a totally fair test we need results for a dead dalmation with white spots on a black background!!! Ho, hum, never mind, I'm off to bed!

Regards, RAB

I would block the hive off from the dog especially as he's large and lively - no point getting the hive knocked over.

One of my dogs had to be rushed to the vet as an emergency after getting stung. He collapsed and went into shock. The dog is black but he wasn't attacked by bees indeed they have never shown any interest in him. Later examination of the leg he had been waving around whilst shrieking showed that he'd actually stood on one which was on the ground and he had got stung on the underside of a toe. Understandable reaction from the bee in the circumstances.

I now wander round peering at the ground and put any walking bees out of harms way before the dog comes out rather than risk a repeat. It turned out he'd developed a heart murmour which was behind the reason for his collapse rather than an allergic reaction to the sting.

So in Summary:

Don't wear black clothes near the bees
Don't have a black dog
Don't build a wobbly fence and paint it black
Don't position your hive next to a black hole
get a cat

...and children remain so throughout their lives (a little demoralising for me as I have just 'acquired' a stroppy 18 yr girl (all chest, mouth, and attitude) and was hoping her going to Uni would be my saviour)

Saturn,
You said in your original post that you are doing a course in January. Is there any practical involved as most if not all bees are slumbering at this time? If there is no practical then have you plans to join up with a local group to get some in March/April/May time?

If you do get a colony you will have a wonderful time.

Sam

shonto,

You will make a good beekeeper, I reckon - you are reading nearly all the forum traffic? The things you pick up will bode well for the future with bees and their unpredictability.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back