Does this exist? Drone cages?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naxx3

New Bee
Reaction score
So I was curious...

You hear about queen cages, and queen banks...

And people want controlled breeding, but do they do the same things for drones to really make sure what genetics they are getting for new hive generations?

I don't think those are what the OP had in mind but I'm sure he will welcome all this information when he gets his bees ....
I have known some beeks putting a Qx across the entrance to ensure drones of this line didn't mate with his queens.... Always puzzled me on how he managed to do inspections without letting them escape.... He must have had a helper going frantically over his head with a butterfly net!!!

So I was curious...

You hear about queen cages, and queen banks...

And people want controlled breeding, but do they do the same things for drones to really make sure what genetics they are getting for new hive generations?

nao57....
either you read too much and have no beekeeping experience or you have beekeeping experience and understand too little!

Yeghes da

I have known some beeks putting a Qx across the entrance to ensure drones of this line didn't mate with his queens.... Always puzzled me on how he managed to do inspections without letting them escape.... He must have had a helper going frantically over his head with a butterfly net!!!
Simples clip the drones wings at birth!!

Simples clip the drones wings at birth!!
Or let your hives be infested with varroa.

Looking at his random posts I reckon nao57 on purchasing his first nuc will try to instrumentally inseminate his queen with a fertilised egg over a cloake board while his drones will be watching in horror behind a cage. What will follow will be a statistic of 100% mean bees in his yard....

But not with drone cages which has what I was referring to !
You could use a queen trap frame, push-in cage or even a queen excluder under a frame or two of sealed drone brood. There are several ways of doing it and, I'm sure, they're probably equally effective. The essential part is that drones are isolated so they can be marked until they are mature. They will need to feed/be fed by workers.
At this point, you really have a choice of two alternatives:
1. You can mark the drones and allow them to fly.
2. You can keep them caged until required.
Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. 1 allows them to fly/exercise and excrete which aids sperm migration and avoids contamination but you can lose a lot, even if they are marked with Posca pen. 2 allows you to maintain a large supply but fertility and contamination from excreta may be an issue.
Drones are attracted to the light at the hive entrance as they mature so having a queen excluder over the entrance can cause a blockage.
I thought the point of the OPs question was whether breeders seek to control both male, and female, partners - which is why I said yes even though I know some people are satisfied with maternal selection and uncontrolled mating. IMHO, this is not breeding though.

You could use a queen trap frame, push-in cage or even a queen excluder under a frame or two of sealed drone brood. There are several ways of doing it and, I'm sure, they're probably equally effective. The essential part is that drones are isolated so they can be marked until they are mature. They will need to feed/be fed by workers.
At this point, you really have a choice of two alternatives:
1. You can mark the drones and allow them to fly.
2. You can keep them caged until required.
Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. 1 allows them to fly/exercise and excrete which aids sperm migration and avoids contamination but you can lose a lot, even if they are marked with Posca pen. 2 allows you to maintain a large supply but fertility and contamination from excreta may be an issue.
Drones are attracted to the light at the hive entrance as they mature so having a queen excluder over the entrance can cause a blockage.
I thought the point of the OPs question was whether breeders seek to control both male, and female, partners - which is why I said yes even though I know some people are satisfied with maternal selection and uncontrolled mating. IMHO, this is not breeding though.
I don't think his question was as technical as that as he does not have any bees yet but your answer is very interesting ....Is it a method that you use ... I must admit I've never seen it done.

I don't think his question was as technical as that as he does not have any bees yet but your answer is very interesting ....Is it a method that you use ... I must admit I've never seen it done.

Yes. I've tried different methods but they all seem to have strengths in some areas and weaknesses in others. All you can really do is pick one and do everything you can to minimize the risks to the queen.
Drones are filthy creatures and will poop everywhere - so you end up constantly cleaning. It's like the worst case of ocd ever!

It was technical and you guys are just bias.

You guys set off a whole bunch of troll comments on me. Shame on you and the others.

You guys set off a whole bunch of troll comments on me. Shame on you and the others.
Not at all .. if you start a thread with the title you put there what do you expect ? I don't think anyone has trolled you ...perhaps the other questions you have been raising and which have been answered should give you an indication of the generosity and tolerance of members.

Nope.
People have been very generous with their time and knowledge on this thread and the others you have started. Look at the replies from B+ for a start.

Agreed with both above comments. No one is trolling or being disrespectful. We have all provided sensible comments to your queries however random they may have been. This perhaps the reason why you may take some of the comments as trolling when in fact it just a bit of humour.

Latest posts

Back