Do you really need a mouseguard if you have an open mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seeing the damage rodent did to the wooden bars on my compost heap last winter I'm surprised that the rodents dont just start chewing at a corner of a poly or soft timber hive and go round any metal

2. If you are not using poly hives then you need a mouse guard.

Utter twaddle! I use Kewl type floors under 14x12 boxes. So, whilst I understand what you are alluding to, which is perfectly valid, your statement as such is just generally flawed.

I also know of people that use poly hives and have a few standard/non-standard wooden floors. I guess that they will definitely be needing mouse guards.

A wonderful thing the English language . . . Ah, Yep, I understand the problem now . Ye ken? :)

Had a nice day so dinna spoil it hmm?

I was referring as you know very well to a pure poly situation.

If its now a case of semantics then of course there are variations. If I am to discourse on every possible eventuality it would likely be past mouse time and back to working brood boxes.

PH

Do mice try and hibernate in hives with open mesh floors ? Wouldnt have thought so. I do have a mouse guard but have a reduced entrance by using a small piece of wood.

Mice will squeeze through a standard cut in an entrance block, just like they will gnaw away at wood. Do not fit a metal mouseguard if you want to loose your bee colony.

In my experience:
entrance reducer in = mice out
Did have one chew round the block years ago but if she was that determined she could have chewed round a mouse guard too

Hive type is irrelevant. Wood or poly. Mice do not, except in very rare cases, go in through a 3/8" entrance. All our hives are on that depth of floor and we never get mice inside via the front door. The least secure material appears to be cedar, pine and poly less so, but to get it in perspective we are talking maybe a dozen hives over 20 years invaded by mice by this route........so about 1 in 3000 hive winterings.......not worth the bother of using mouseguards.

Most continental hives have had this taken inot account in the design of them, hence PH's observation about the German ones. they seem to be all like that.

On the contrary however are the deeper entrances used in this country such as on Nationals, which are virtually an invitation to free board and lodgings for the winter to mice.

In several countries you get reversible floors, with a deep side and a shallow side, and if you are so minded you just turn the floor over ( actually they usually are front or backso you also have to rotate it through 180deg) and then you have an unobstructed 3/82 floor for winter and a full depth entrance for the hot conditions in summer. We just use the 3/8" side all year, as do most bigger outfits I know of. Mouseguards not required.

Shrews are a different thing and some see them and think it to be mice........usually do a lot less damage as they can live happily betweeen two frames and just shave both sides back to the foundation, and the bees fix it up just fine in spring. They CAN go in a 3/8" entrance but we think of them as largely benign.

Elsewhere someone mentioned the effect of leaving a flat piece of equipment lying around and lifting it up after a couple of weeks and seeing the holes and runs underneath. This is true, but the culprits, if culprit is the right word, is usually the field vole, and those are completely harmless to us and our hives.

We DO sometimes get a mouse in though, defective hive parts or careless placing of feeders etc, or dislodging by things bumping against the hives are the issue there. Occasionally we find that an old non standard floor has been taken out of the shed and they too can get mice inside..........most have been burned by now and will have a final cull this winter.

Last edited:
Last week I went and rounded up all the bait hives I had out, a bit late in the year i know, but that's another story...

All of them had entrance blocks fitted in the reduced position and more than half of the bait hives had one or more mice in them, one of them had about six in it...

So I would recommend using mouse guards on your hives...

For the average beekeeper with a few colonies in wooden nationals (the majority of beeks I suspect) I don't understand the argument against fitting mouseguards.
Too expensive.... No
Take to long to fit....No
Detrimental to the bees.... No(not even the pollen argument!)
Mine are all wooden nationals on OMF floors with entrance blocks out and mouseguards fitted.

Peter

Latest posts

Back