Newly transferred nuc entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donks87l

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, last week I got my first nic transferred. I'm going to do a inspection in a day or so, but was wondering when is a good time to open up the entrance?
I left it small at first to help being a small hive but not sure whe they are strong enough to be partly or fully open. I do have a open mesh floor so overheating isn't to bad, and they are not bearding yet.
Also when do I know if another BB is needed or a super?
Thanks

First off you never need the entrance fully open!
I have full size colonies that run perfectly happily on about 3inches wide all season, beekeepers do not have to keep mucking about with the front door!
As to adding another brood….this season they may not need it, if your queen lays out to say eight frames and if you have any late sources of nectar I would perhaps consider a super but you’d have to judge that later.

Thankyou, I went over my notes from the bbka course and couldn't see.
When would you say is good to open to 3inches?
I have a 8frame langstroth deep frames (9.1" deep") so difficult to find something not relating to nationals

Did your lang hive come with an entrance block? With a set opening? Am sure that will be more than sufficient. Not so important this time of season but aline your brood with the entrance late season to guard against wasps.

Did your lang hive come with an entrance block? With a set opening? Am sure that will be more than sufficient. Not so important this time of season but aline your brood with the entrance late season to guard against wasps.
Yes it came with two settings 1 and 3 inch (roughly without checking).
Wasn't sure if I could expect honey this year or get just both broods drawn out

Yes it came with two settings 1 and 3 inch (roughly without checking).
Wasn't sure if I could expect honey this year or get just both broods drawn out
Id put it to 3” if there a good nuc and leave them to it!

Latest posts

Back