Do you plan to start Beekeeping this year ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taf

I would say that any half decent sized swarm will very rapildy expand into a full 11 frame national and by end of august you should have 1 or 2 supers on. This of course is very much weather dependant and if you feed of not

Last edited:
A National / WBC super of honey, if it is completely full would weigh about 33lb, as each full frame would weigh about 3lb. Well this is what I was told on the CBKA beekeeping course.

Hi all
Just got a confirmed place on the Edinburgh beginners course starting on Monday, over 30 applicants, still not decided what kind of hive yet but going to wards a Langstroth, will be visiting a couple of apiary's on the course so should give me a better idea.

Keith

Super weight.

a WBC probably would as there are but 10 frames in it but I prefer my Nationals to weigh a bittie more. 40+

And when the vehicle struggles to get out the gate at the top of the hill from the heather sites, well then... I knows I have full supers. ;)

PH

Dummy board.

I am very pleased to see this mentioned and might I suggest a couple of tips.

Many say use ply, I say use poly of some sort sandwiched into fablon if you can still get it. The warmer the dummy the better.

PH

National cedar super weighs 5lb empty,ten combs on ten spacing,each comb weighs three and half pounds+- fraction = 40lb even more weight if you use eight spacing.

Gavin, you asked about the course?
It's been fantastic. Fascinating, really encouraging, very freindly. It's given me much more of an idea than I could've gleaned from reading about it, and much more confidence.

Hi Shona

That's really good. Magnus and his helpers lead the way in beginner's courses in Scotland, and the effect of that in the local association is clear to see. Lot's of new and new-ish beekeepers, and a good range of ages in the membership. If you are there at the April meeting do say hello.

best wishes

Gavin

hi

I'm almost finished renovating WBC hive in readiness for bees this spring. Am one week into a local beekeeping course and really gettin into this bee thing!!!

Jeez, I thought I was the only one mad enough to travel from Bristol for the course, say hell next week, I'm fat bloke sitting down the front in biking kit :cheers2:

Hah! We're the couple that always leave at nine to catch the train!

I`ve just picked up some national hives from Hivemaker and have 2 nucs on order. I`ve got plenty of room for them but nowhere out of the wind so I may have to erect a windbreak of some kind.
We are having problems locating a nuc asap. We have hives all ready and waiting, but can find no bees. We are in the Berkshire area. Any ideas?

I would *like* to start beekeeping this year, but I am struggling on how to start....

My local association here has courses for beginners, but they are all full.

I cannot find a clear concise guide on locating hives, my garden is a no no with a 2 year old running around :)! So if anyone could help me out................

Apparently the chances of getting bees this year is also a bit slim!

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am a little disheartened and you all seem nice people, so i thought that this is probably the best place for it.

Oh and if I were to buy a book, any recommendations?

Craig

Hi Millbank
It can be disheartening when you first start, i took it up last year and most places had sold out, this year there appears to be more demand so it looks tight again.
However, have you asked members of your local association for a nuc ? thats where i got my first bees from, they usually help out their newest recruits with Bees, if yours dont then they should.

With regard to your Apiary, take a drive around local farms, have a look on google maps around your area noting fields and locations, i did a search on local farms and wrote a letter to about 10 of them with positive results.
Again, ask your Association they should have an idea too.

31LO%2BtjuETL._SL500_AA180_.jpg
Guide to Bees & Honey by Ted Hooper
Practical Beekeeping by Clive de Bruyn

Those books should help you hit the ground running.

Where are you located Millbeek?

I am beginning to think I should start a beginners weekend.

PH

Thats a great idea PH,you could include B+B in the price !!

The die is cast,I am not going to allow you to wriggle out of this..

I am in west yorkshire, PH

A beginners weekend would be great! :)

Last edited:
It seems like beekeeping has suddenly become much more popular :cheers2:.... I've had an idea to keep bees for years, but started this year as moved house last year to a more bee-freindly location.
But is it just me perception that it's really gained in popularity recently or is it actually the case? And if so.... why?

Thats a great idea PH,you could include B+B in the price !!

I Like the sound of that.

We have 3 spare rooms, and enough space for 3 or 4 caravans and a few tents.

Will run it pass the boss this weekend:hat:

in York JimBeeKeeper???? I'll just grab my coat..................................... :-D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back