Do you plan to start Beekeeping this year ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting this year. I have one national that I picked up from a retiring beekeeper, and plan to get a second. I've been attending the beginners' course in Taunton (which has been so popular it was standing room only in the first session, and they had to change all the seating arrangements). Final practical session next week.

Since starting the course in Feb my plans have changed somewhat. Originally I was going to keep them on my allotment in Bristol. Since then my fiancee got a new job, so we're moving to Cornwall next month. Our house is in light woodland on the banks of the Tamar, with an extremely steep, terraced 40 metre garden. I'm thinking that (heavy lifting aside) the top terrace would be great. It's out of the way from neighbours. It's above most of the trees, so gets plenty of morning sun. It's surrounded by trees, wild flowers etc, so plenty of forage.

I'm not totally sure where I'll be getting my bees from. I was originally planning on getting them from the BKA where I did the course, but this seems less likely as I'm moving away.

I'm planning to start this year, too! I started by doing a bit of reading up, but I've also been doing a beginners course near Stirling. I've been really lucky - have been offered a full colony in Smith hive... :)
They'll be going on a (tall) stand at the top of a river bank, facing the morning sun and not near any neighbours (but near a road; hopefully the tall beach hedges will stop any issues, and they'll have their backs to the road anyway).
Would like to look at getting a second hive over the summer, but I'm a bit short on space.

CRIKEY
Whered all these new Beekeepers come from, who says its just a hobby for the Posh and the Old !!!!.

....I know, I only signed up to the course to meet a posh old man, but none available :svengo: so settled for the hive instead.

We’re just starting, too. In fact we’re half way through a beginners’ course given by our local BKA.

The good news is that we have an excellent place for hives on our local allotment site. There’s an allotment that nobody wants because it’s under a line of mature trees. You certainly couldn’t grow tomatoes there, and the few brave souls who’ve tried have been rapidly disheartened. But it’s sheltered, faces south east, is reasonably hidden from public view by a large patch of brambles, and has an entrance gate to the road within 50 yards over level-ish ground. So we’ve rented it, neatened up the brambles and planted a few suitable fruit bushes and trees for screening and blossom.

We’ve strimmed a good patch of ground and then taken a rotary mower over it to keep the grass short for the apiary site itself.

Even better news is that before we rented the site we had a very sensible dialogue with the local council, and have permission for up to four hives in the first year. In fact, we’re thinking about installing just two this year.

I’ve even managed to resist the temptation to buy lots of kit to avoid “all the gear, no idea” syndrome. We’ll probably be buying a couple of National hives through the local BKA at the end of the training course, plus any clothing and accessories that they recommend.

So all we lack is …. erm … bees.

....I know, I only signed up to the course to meet a posh old man, but none available :svengo: so settled for the hive instead.

Did you like the course? We haven't yet started running ours in Dundee this year.

You could always try the indoor meetings of the whole association for your posh older men if you like! I'll be along on 21st April .... can talk posh if I try hard .... but I draw the line at being called old!

:blush5:

G.

CRIKEY
Whered all these new Beekeepers come from, who says its just a hobby for the Posh and the Old !!!!.

Oh my! I thought beekeeping was a hobby for the beautiful, :smilielol5:strong and eco principled!

CRIKEY

A quick scan down the latest membership of Worcestershire beekeepers reveals 9 Dr's, 2 Rev's and 2 Prof's. We still prefer to keep it highbrow in this part of the world. No beards, only handlebar moustaches allowed.

Gavin?

I have lectured at Dundee..LOL... also did you note that Aberdeen have 60 beginners...!!!!!!!!

Do you know Morna Stokley by the way?

PH

Hi PH

Then I very likely have seen you in the flesh ... well, in person! Not that I remember a Pete from Aberdeen ... what was your topic and when did you come?

Yes, I've met Morna. She has been along to talk to us in years gone by (and I can remember her talks!).

Dunblane had my talk on the resistance of bees to Varroa last year and, given the progress since then locally, they are keen to have an update.

Yes, I saw your comments on the size of the Aberdeen beginners class, and circulated them round a few of the committee members planning our classes soon. At the SBA AGM other local associations were saying how big their classes were this year too.

all the best

Gavin

Stonehaven was my location and to be honest I canna remember the topic myself which makes me suspect it might have been disease. I tend to blank that one....LOL

probably early 90's.

PH

Last edited:
Well, if it was within the last 11/12 years I was probably there - keeping quiet at the back no doubt. These days I sit at the front so that I can see clearly - LOL! - and harass the speaker if necessary! Did Moira Jenkins stand at the door so that she could butt in when she had something to say, and also sneak off to get the tea ready? Nothing changes!!

G.

Gavin, you asked about the course?
It's been fantastic. Fascinating, really encouraging, very freindly. It's given me much more of an idea than I could've gleaned from reading about it, and much more confidence.

I see we have a few new members who are starting out this year.

Do you plan to get your first hive and bees during 2009?
What hive type are you looking at,do you have a place lined up to keep them ?

What are your plans?

I am starting this year, I have joined somerset BKA and am also doing the beginners course at Taunton, it is the second time I've done the course the first was 2 years ago with a different division of SBKA but I am now in a stable enough job where I'm not going away for months at a time to get some bee's.

I have been in contact with a guy who will be a montor to me and he's invited me down to his apiary next weekend for me get my first sting :coolgleamA: I've got a national hive and I've found somwhere that might be a good place to site it, about a mile from the nearest civilisation a few hundred yards from a couple of hectars of what I think is blueberry plants in one direction and lots of fields in the other that I haven't identified what is planted but it has been OSR in the not too distant past.

My mentor has mentioned getting me a swarm to start off, I may buy a Nuc box start them off in with a view to transfering them into the national once they have expanded but we'll see what happens, either way I'm not expecting to be taking honey off them this year but leaving them to go into winter strongly to come out next year healthy *crossed fingers*

I'm starting this year. I have one national that I picked up from a retiring beekeeper, and plan to get a second. I've been attending the beginners' course in Taunton (which has been so popular it was standing room only in the first session, and they had to change all the seating arrangements). Final practical session next week.

Jeez, I thought I was the only one mad enough to travel from Bristol for the course, say hell next week, I'm fat bloke sitting down the front in biking kit :cheers2:

Hi Taff,rather than go to the expense of buying a Nuc box you could always make or buy a dummy board to insert after 5 or 6 frames.

Then just move it along as the brood nest expands,just remember not to give them to much room or they will be very slow to build up.

When you get your swarm or Nuc of bees give them a damn good feed to help them draw out some foundation,once they get going you should be able to get a supper on them and get a couple of pounds of honey off them this year that you could crush and strain,just so you can get a taste of your first honey.

If its a swarm you get have a word with your mentor regards giving them an oxalic acid treatment for verroa before they start brood rearing.

Cheers Admin.

My thinking about starting off in a nuc is two fold, firstly as you say not giving them too much room and too much work drawing out new comb and secondly I see buying a nuc box as an investment and something that I will use again in the future. I have thought about using a dummy board but I think at this stage having extra kit would be beneficial.

I remeber someone here saying that gaining experience by building up a nuc into a full blown collony is a valuable excercise and makes sense to me so I'll give it a go :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back