Do not tap hives during winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear no-hole coverboards.
Very very little disruption if you just look through.
OK, you do lose a little warmth, but nothing compared to lifting a ply crownboard (or using a coverboard with a hole).

Leave them alone and they'll come home and if they don't better without them. Assuming that they were properly put to bed but it's a bit too late now to do anything about that.

If you have an open mesh floor just stick a varroa board in and check for detritus the next day. It will tell you if they are alive and how many seams of bees.

Not the best solution if your hives are 100 miles away but you don't need to tap any cash, tap and dash or lift and leer.

If you have an open mesh floor just stick a varroa board in and check for detritus the next day. It will tell you if they are alive and how many seams of bees.
r.

Jep. That is A new method to disturb the hive. Detritus peeping!

Tapping

I am a complete novice but if tapping is an issue could you not use the glass agaist a wall idea to listen to whats happening ????

What will be will be... what are you going to do about it this time of the year.
All you can do is ensure enough food... fondant , and in accessible area, over cluster. Batten them down, keep entrances clear. congratulate yourself with job done by pouring a glass of refreshment!

Clean and sterilise all equipment, ready for the new year. Enjoy the rest cos it will get hectic. Read books to learn, and leave the bees alone.:smilie_bett:

Better fill glass with a good malt :)
See previous :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which reminds me - better go shopping before tomorrow night, dwn to my last eight bottles of malt - and only a magnum and three bottles of champagne left in the cellar!

Tried that, doesn't work , the damned coal tumbles out when bath is hung on the nail in the back yard :(
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What will be will be... what are you going to do about it this time of the year.

pull the hive apart so as to confirm your worst fears....???

What will be will be... what are you going to do about it this time of the yea

... pull the hive apart so as to confirm your worst fears....???

Or poke around banging hives, opening them, and removing frames just to help accelerate their demise.

Why can't beeks leave the bees in peace and just feed, if hefting indicates the need? Kiss principle!
Beekeeping is simple as long as the ' ' brigade are kept well away from them.

Back