Do not tap hives during winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am the first to agree RAB, leave them alone. This all started with me suggesting that a new beekeeper would be better having one tap on the side of a hive to see if they were alive rather than taking it apart! Just so they could sleep easy. It has now blown up out of all proportion into banging hives and ripping them apart.
Oh well. I was just trying to help as usual but ........

Last edited by a moderator:
It works for me too enrico as I said if it disturbs them that much then rain and hailstones would kill them the way some go on about it.:hairpull:

What will be will be... what are you going to do about it this time of the yea

... pull the hive apart so as to confirm your worst fears....???

Or poke around banging hives, opening them, and removing frames just to help accelerate their demise.

Why can't beeks leave the bees in peace and just feed, if hefting indicates the need? Kiss principle!
Beekeeping is simple as long as the ' ' brigade are kept well away from them.

My hives wont be "looked" at until the weather is warm enough for me to be outside without a coat on...

Thanks to the tappers, I was beginning to feel a bit isolated! Funny how sometimes the forum can make you feel as though no one loves you!
E

Thanks to the tappers, I was beginning to feel a bit isolated! Funny how sometimes the forum can make you feel as though no one loves you!
E

I'm not a tapper but I still love you! Tap away if it works for you. You have been keeping bees long enough to know what's best for your apiary.
Cazza

E

I tried tap dancing once .
Fell in the bloody sink!
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am of the opinion that tapping the hive is in no way detrimental to their survival.

Personally I use a laser thermometer to check if hives are still alive. I use an empty hive as a control. (either a dead out or empty hive intentionally placed as a control) I lift the outer cover just enough to shoot a temp on the inner cover of the empty hive. Then do the same thing with the rest of my hives. Any inner cover that measures a higher temp then the control is still alive. If the cluster is low in the hive the temp may only be a few degrees higher on a living hive. If the cluster is close to the inner cover the degree difference will be 20 + higher, then it is time to start thinking about feeding.

E

It all depends what you tap

-- . .-. .-. -.-- / -.-. .... .-. .. ... - -- .- ... / .- -. -.. / .- / .... .- .--. .--. -.-- / -. . .-- / -.-- . .- .-. :xmas-smiley-016:

.- -. -.. T .... . ... .- -- - --- -.-- --- ..-
--... ...-- ...- --

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E

You have got quite much attention from male beekeepers.
You have leader features.
All you need is love.

Back