Do not tap hives during winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to use my stethoscope to listen to the sap running in the trees in my garden come Spring. You can hear Eucalyptus with just your ear which I always find fascinating.
Cazza

Is that right? Guess I'll have to pay more attention. I used to tap 5000+, and never heard a thing but the sound of the drops hitting the bottom of the bucket.

Drip, drip, drip...

Anyway - I should have thought tapping the hive essential - how else would you get the honey into the jars, but by using a tap on the side of the hive (fawcet for you on'tother side of pond :D)

Anyway - I should have thought tapping the hive essential - how else would you get the honey into the jars, but by using a tap on the side of the hive (fawcet for you on'tother side of pond :D)

We have taps here too, but they only dispense beer. Water comes from a "faucet", honey from a "gate"

All this talk of tapping has caused me to order a stethoscope for something to play with over the rest of the winter.
Cazza

It came today so I have been out for a little play.

No bees flying so they could have all been dead as far as one could see.
I was really surprised that I could actually hear them. The poly hives were the loudest and I could locate the cluster in a double brood box.
No tapping required.
Cazza

Get somebody you dont like to put them (it) on and shout down it..

Back