Do not tap hives during winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This all started from a thread where finman suggested taking a double brood box apart to see what stores were inside because his computer showed it to be 7 degrees in England. E

Enrico. Your dyslexia is becoming worse.

Look, what I wrote in headline.

Don't do as I say, use your own brains.............like adults..

Last edited:
All this talk of tapping has caused me to order a stethoscope for something to play with over the rest of the winter. Amazing what people buy them for when you read the product reviews. Hours of fun and entertainment.
Cazza

All this talk of tapping has caused me to order a stethoscope for something to play with over the rest of the winter. Amazing what people buy them for when you read the product reviews. Hours of fun and entertainment.
Cazza

And if you really want to you can use it to listen to your bees in the hive :D

Self control:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Happy New year

My old commander (who once managed a whole two litres of scotch in one session at Leith docks - never leave a free bar!) professed that self control was judged as the ability to not wet oneself, period! I must say I'm rather pleased that I haven't got a headache this morning - well only the one from where I accidentally bumped the bedside cabinet when I eventually turned in :D. I have to stay up well past midnight as it's a tradition for me to call home and wish my mother a happy new year and happy birthday (no chance of me forgetting her birthday!) My late grandparents would also stay up expecting my call - up until they were 90 and beyond! Grandad always had a few botles of 'gold watch' tucked beside his chair 'for visitors' so he was happy enough to stay up.

A good idea, Cazza, but not entirely necessary, just another means of non-disruptive observation, non-intrusive and, depending h quality of the device, gives good feed-back to the listener as to whether the colony is still alive, and perhaps a bit temperature dependent too.

There is a whole range of non-disruptive actions right up to plainly stupid things to do to a colony in winter recess, viz:

1) Nothing. Not too useful, but better than some of the following!,

2) Check by means such as viewing via OMF (if hive is so fitted and has viewing clearance or opportunity of web cam or other viewing aid), stethoscope for sound, thermometer probe onto crownboard, sheet under hive to check for wax fragments after a day or two.

OK, some may not give an instantaneous result, but none need interfere with the bees' slumber, so the ideal choices.

3) Tap hive lightly and listen for response with a stethoscope.

4) Tap louder on hive and rely on hearing.

5) Bang on hive and listen for response.

6) Bang on hive and shake same to get some form of response.

7) 6), followed by removing crownboard and check, after banging hive about to break the propolis seal that should be securing it.

8) Remove frames to check.

Clearly a wide range of actions from nothing to sheer mayhem for the slumbering bees. It must be clear to nearly all that the latter part of the list is going to be potentially more disruptive than the earlier part. It should also be obvious to most that while you might get away with removing the crownboard a few times, during the winter months, for a strong healthy colony, the same could not be said for a small weak colony; that's right, the small weak one would be more likely to succumb!

Clearly, the number of, and intervals between, checks can make a difference to the viability of the colony, all other things being equal.

Hence my point of extrapolating or interpolating from known situations, of likely effects of different methods of checking for colony life can demonstrate which actions are good and which are bad. With more refinement one can ascertain which would be better or worse.

Tapping hives, while not the best is not the worst either - unless the colony happens to be a small weak one and particularly if the tapping is carried out regularly at short intervals (a common trait of new beeks is checking/inspecting too often, summer or winter). Checking/monitoring by totally a non-disturbance routine must be better every time.

Why disturb the bees more than necessary?

I agree with Finman on this one. End of story. Beekeepers will make their own choice and it is down to them if small weak colonies are unduly disturbed and perish..

I will now clear off and let some argue about it further; I will await gentle hefting time to come around and carry out simple checks, only interveing where necessary until springtime arrives.

RAB

Last edited:
A story about my douple brood wintering hive.

It was a strong hive at the beginning of September. I took winter fiood and capped it.

Then 2 months later I opened the cover. I ment to give oxalic acid to the colony, but I did not see a single bee. Even the floor was clean.

Yes, it was varroa, which killed the wintering brood. The colony cleaned violated brood away and then the bees died naturally during the autumn.

Question is, did I started tapping too late? Does tapping help against varroa?
Does tapping help against Nosema
Does tapping help queen, which has lost its ability to lay

These are my most usual winter loss types

Does stetoscope helps against nosema?

.What helps then? 10 spare colonies...I have very seldom starving losses

Last edited:
Do you think that Cadadians and US beeks tap too seldom

By Stephen Tilmann, on September 9th, 2013

2012/2013 Winter Honey Bee Loss in Canada – Final Report

The Canadian Association of Professional Apiculturists (CAPA) conducts an annual survey for honey bee loss. Over the winter of 2012 – 2013, the average level of wintering loss of honey bee colonies (i.e. colony mortality or colonies too weak to be commercially productive) across Canada was 28.6% . Compare this to a figure that is closer to 31% for the US.
Responses from provincial surveys indicated that weather, poor queens, weak colonies in fall, nosema and ineffective varroa control were reasons that beekeepers are suspecting for the high wintering losses

I must say I'm rather pleased that I haven't got a headache this morning

not worthynot worthy
I can't drink like that any more....maybe when I was a student in Glasgow.
I spent a whole summer working with a vet in Skye. His patch covered a great deal of Wester Ross and we used to set off early in the morning on the ferry and we got fed a large malt at every farm. I don't know how we ever managed to do any work let alone get home at night.

Sorry JB
Self control:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Happy New year

That was a little ungenerous...What I should have said was "Wrap yourself round a greasy bacon and egg sarnie"
Glad to hear you didn't need it.

3) Tap hive lightly and listen for response with a stethoscope.
:eek: surefire recipe for a burst eardrum! the whole point of using a stethoscope is that you don't need to tap - gently or otherwise, just check in a couple of places and you will hear the colony gently buzzing, with the odd rustle and scratch. It can also give you a vague idea of where the cluster is within the hive. Not much you can do regarless of what you hear/not hear but it's reassuring occasionally to have a mooch around and a listen - nothing much else you can do is there? apart from pour yoursaelf another scotch!!

not worthynot worthy
I can't drink like that any more
I thought I couldn't - thanks to my medication I usually wake up in the morning after three or four pints not hungover, just tired and not quite 'with it' Last night I think I found the solution - four pints of 'Cwrw Gaeaf' at 4.9° washed down with industrial quantities of good malt whisky hurrah!

A good idea, Cazza, but not entirely necessary, just another means of non-disruptive observation, non-intrusive and, depending h quality of the device, gives good feed-back to the listener as to whether the colony is still alive, and perhaps a bit temperature dependent too.

RAB

Completely unnecessary if I'm being honest. Just another gadget!
If they are dead, they are dead. If alive, I will see them when they fly.
C

Those in Vermont surely do. But only in the spring when the sap in the maples begins to run.

I'm going to use my stethoscope to listen to the sap running in the trees in my garden come Spring. You can hear Eucalyptus with just your ear which I always find fascinating.
Cazza

Completely unnecessary if I'm being honest. Just another gadget!
If they are dead, they are dead. If alive, I will see them when they fly.
C

If they are dead would you not like to know why! could it be an isolated thing or could it be something nasty that could be affecting the rest of your colonies

Latest posts

Back