Do not tap hives during winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am of the opinion that tapping the hive is in no way detrimental to their survival.-

You are 'sort of' correct for those colonies that will easily survive the winter because they actually survive and you have no idea as to whether, or by how much, you may have affected them.

Unfortunately that may not be the case for the marginal ones. And it is these that are continually recommended for 'tapping' by some to check they are still hanging on, so not the most clever comment, I'm afraid.

Extrapolation or interpolation from known data is often a good guide, not bland, uncorroborated statements such as that above.

RAB

I am of the opinion that tapping the hive is in no way detrimental to their survival.-

You are 'sort of' correct for those colonies that will easily survive the winter because they actually survive and you have no idea as to whether, or by how much, you may have affected them.

Unfortunately that may not be the case for the marginal ones. And it is these that are continually recommended for 'tapping' by some to check they are still hanging on, so not the most clever comment, I'm afraid.

Extrapolation or interpolation from known data is often a good guide, not bland, uncorroborated statements such as that above.

RAB
So....let me get this right.....you have no proof it does any harm.....so you shouldn't do it! In that case there are many things I shouldn't be doing, just because you don't think I should be doing something doesn't make it wrong!
I hope 2014 brings some happiness to you, I can't prove it will...... Make what you want of that, I am sure you will!
E

Unfortunately that may not be the case for the marginal ones.

RAB

I have no use for marginal bees anyway.

So....let me get this right.....you have no proof it does any harm.....so you shouldn't do it! In that case there are many things I shouldn't be doing, just because you don't think I should be doing something doesn't make it wrong!

Putting a child in a Lion enclosure at a Zoo may not get the child eaten. There is no proof it will, but is still a pretty stupid thing to do.

I have no doubt there is a sliding scale regarding weather, disturbance and size of colony. The more fragile the colony, the greater the risk of the cluster breaking = heat loss and the possibility of bees chilling to a detrimental level on the individuals.
Some of my colony's are very defensive and will 'investigate' when approaching the hive in even very cold weather. Any bees that break the cluster in cold weather (if we ever get some!) 'may' not survive. The more bees that die, the less bees there are to keep the cluster warm, and the remaining bees have to work harder. Particularly at this time of year, every bee is extremely valuable.

Obviously, the more they are disturbed, the higher the possibility of bees dying. (I am sure new beekeepers pining for spring with hives handily in the garden, could easily become 'serial tappers'... I am sure this is the audience that Finman was addressing)

Bees will naturally be disturbed during the winter by wildlife, but to purposefully disturb them for no other reason than personal satisfaction to see if they are still alive at this time of year is not logical at all.

Yes there my be no proof that tapping does harm, equally there is no proof that not-tapping does harm... sometimes logic has to play a part even when there is no proof.

you missed the o o o o o betwenn the s (matelots always start Aldis signals with .- .-. .- .- .- until they get anknowledged - with us it was with 'use the bloody VHS that's what it's there for!'

So....let me get this right.....you have no proof it does any harm.....so you shouldn't do it! In

And where are your proofs that there is no proof. ....Working
with bees bring experience,
what is worth to do and what is not

Once I put winter covers on hives and one hive started to burst out in the out temp of -5C. It made a cluster to upper entrance.
What is wrong with that hive?

I put a digital thermometer inside the hive and temp was +42C.

6 hours later temp was 33C
24 hours later in temp was 23C.

What does it proove? --I walked around tha hive and the colony was alarmed. It prepared to fight against enemy, who is entering the hive.

.Very seldom beekeepers need any proofs to their odd habbits. Why now?

Last edited:
Putting a child in a Lion enclosure at a Zoo may not get the child eaten. There is no proof it will, but is still a pretty stupid thing to do.

I have no doubt there is a sliding scale regarding weather, disturbance and size of colony. The more fragile the colony, the greater the risk of the cluster breaking = heat loss and the possibility of bees chilling to a detrimental level on the individuals.
Some of my colony's are very defensive and will 'investigate' when approaching the hive in even very cold weather. Any bees that break the cluster in cold weather (if we ever get some!) 'may' not survive. The more bees that die, the less bees there are to keep the cluster warm, and the remaining bees have to work harder. Particularly at this time of year, every bee is extremely valuable.

Obviously, the more they are disturbed, the higher the possibility of bees dying. (I am sure new beekeepers pining for spring with hives handily in the garden, could easily become 'serial tappers'... I am sure this is the audience that Finman was addressing)

Bees will naturally be disturbed during the winter by wildlife, but to purposefully disturb them for no other reason than personal satisfaction to see if they are still alive at this time of year is not logical at all.

Yes there my be no proof that tapping does harm, equally there is no proof that not-tapping does harm... sometimes logic has to play a part even when there is no proof.

I understand all that...... But likewise there are horses for courses and sometimes the minimum disturbance route is surely better than the maximum disturbance route. This all started from a thread where finman suggested taking a double brood box apart to see what stores were inside because his computer showed it to be 7 degrees in England. I was suggesting this was maybe not a good idea as we were having gale force winds and heavy rain and that there may be a less disruptive route to take for a new beekeeper!
Oh my! ........ How I wish I had maybe not mentioned that I am a part time tapper when necessary. It was meant to suggest that this is just another tool in a beekeepers arsenal! I was never suggesting that serial tapping should become the norm :nono: oh well....best intentions and all that, ok I give up, take the brood box's apart if you think that is the way to go.... My signature says it all!
Happy new year to all, whatever country you are in. :ohthedrama:
Xxxxxxxx
E

This all started from a thread where finman suggested taking a double brood box apart to see what stores were inside because his computer showed it to be 7 degrees in England. E

We have here just now 6C

Thanks to heaven, that guy went and thefted the hive and noticeed that hive is full.

I just wonder that when in Britain autumn has gone 3 months after winter feeding, hives are starving. Everybody should put 2,5 kg fondant on frames????

Listen Enrico. Proplem is not mine. I feed my hives in September, and it is March when I next time start to look, do they have food stores. They have, because I do not disturb the colonies and I have insulated hives.

And Enrico: listen 2#: I have never asked advises from this forum. I know how to keep bees, and how not to keep.

I never take advices from one hive owner who has kept bees 5 months.

Enrico, Listen 3#: do not shout to this direction your wisdom.

Latest posts

Back