New Bee keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEAN C.

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, I have been thinking about starting keeping Bees for a couple of years now, and a lovely couple that had some hives on my friends land, decided to sell their hives off recently to concentrate on other interests, so it sort of forced the decision on me about a month ago and I had to jump in quicker than I would have chosen, and I am now the proud owner of two NBC hives with colonies successfully moved onto my small holding.
With some guidance from the previous owners and a lot of reading, I have just settled my two hives down for the winter. I am lucky I have no immediate neighbours and a few acres of land next to Hatfield Peat moors on the South Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire border.
Looking to learn as much as possible ready for the spring awakening. Thank you for accepting me.

Get yourself on the next beginners course, run by your local beekeeping association. Starts in January.
That'll give you some knowledge and confidence to start enjoying beekeeping.
They will also help you with BBKA membership and insurance.
And, if you haven't already, you should register your bees on beebase.

Have the bees had their autumn varroa treatment, and are they each up to winter weight yet?
For your bees to survive winter, both of these requirements likely need to be met.

You also legally need to keep a record of any treatments you give the bees.

Last edited:
Get yourself on the next beginners course, run by your local beekeeping association. Starts in January.
That'll give you some knowledge and confidence to start enjoying beekeeping.
They will also help you with BKA membership and insurance.
And, if you haven't already, you should register your bees on beebase.

Have the bees had their autumn varroa treatment, and are they each up to winter weight yet?
For your bees to survive winter, both of these requirements likely need to be met.

You also legally need to keep a record of any treatments you hive the bees.
Yes second varroa treatment just added and they are up to weight with fondant added as well, mouse guards on.
Is the insurance a legal requirement for keeping or is this for sales of honey to the public? I presume it is a third party liability you are advising for sales etc..

Last edited:
Yes second varroa treatment just added and they are up to weight with fondant added as well, mouse guards on.
Is the insurance a legal requirement for keeping or is this for sales of honey to the public? I presume it is a third party liability you are advising for sales etc..
Insurance covers your equipment. Useful if the bee inspector tell you to incinerat your gear, due to AFB or bad cases of EFB. I think there's also some 3rd party insurance in there, I need to check the policy. You get £10m cover.

Good to hear you're feeding well and treating for mites.
I can't impress upon you enough the importance of getting on the beginners course.
You can often tell the difference between keepers who have done it and those that haven't. It massively accelerates your learning snd confidence.

Insurance covers your equipment. Useful if the bee inspector tell you to incinerat your gear, due to AFB or bad cases of EFB. I think there's also some 3rd party insurance in there, I need to check the policy. You get £10m cover.

Not all equipment - frames I believe in the event of destruction, boxes can be scorched & reused but please check.
Membership will give you 3rd party liability cover which will offer a little comfort & conform to local market regulations if you were to sell produce.
For the money involved £30-£50??? to join a local association & become a member of the BBKA it’ll be money well spent.

Hi, I have been thinking about starting keeping Bees for a couple of years now, and a lovely couple that had some hives on my friends land, decided to sell their hives off recently to concentrate on other interests, so it sort of forced the decision on me about a month ago and I had to jump in quicker than I would have chosen, and I am now the proud owner of two NBC hives with colonies successfully moved onto my small holding.
With some guidance from the previous owners and a lot of reading, I have just settled my two hives down for the winter. I am lucky I have no immediate neighbours and a few acres of land next to Hatfield Peat moors on the South Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire border.
Looking to learn as much as possible ready for the spring awakening. Thank you for accepting me.
Welcome to the madhouse. I second suggestions about training and membership of a local BKA. Doncaster are probably the closest to you. This link might be useful. https://www.doncasterbka.org.uk/upcoming-events

I think you are more than a bit confused as to two totally different insurances.
Joining an association means you are part of the BBKA which gives you third party liability insurance - which is always handy.
Your first two hives are also covered by an insurance called BDI (Bee Disease Insurance) and you can pay a surcharge to cover more hives up to a maximum (I think) of 40 all that covers is, if a bee inspector discovers a notifiable disease (American Foulbrood or European Foulbrood) and orders the destruction of the colony and hive, depending on the condition agreed by the RBI, you may claim a proportion of the value of the frames and hives destroyed - it covers you for nothing else.

Latest posts

Back