New Bee keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEAN C.

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, I have been thinking about starting keeping Bees for a couple of years now, and a lovely couple that had some hives on my friends land, decided to sell their hives off recently to concentrate on other interests, so it sort of forced the decision on me about a month ago and I had to jump in quicker than I would have chosen, and I am now the proud owner of two NBC hives with colonies successfully moved onto my small holding.
With some guidance from the previous owners and a lot of reading, I have just settled my two hives down for the winter. I am lucky I have no immediate neighbours and a few acres of land next to Hatfield Peat moors on the South Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire border.
Looking to learn as much as possible ready for the spring awakening. Thank you for accepting me.

Get yourself on the next beginners course, run by your local beekeeping association. Starts in January.
That'll give you some knowledge and confidence to start enjoying beekeeping.
They will also help you with BKA membership and insurance.
And, if you haven't already, you should register your bees on beebase.

Have the bees had their autumn varroa treatment, and are they each up to winter weight yet?
For your bees to survive winter, both of these requirements likely need to be met.

You also legally need to keep a record of any treatments you give the bees.

Last edited:
Get yourself on the next beginners course, run by your local beekeeping association. Starts in January.
That'll give you some knowledge and confidence to start enjoying beekeeping.
They will also help you with BKA membership and insurance.
And, if you haven't already, you should register your bees on beebase.

Have the bees had their autumn varroa treatment, and are they each up to winter weight yet?
For your bees to survive winter, both of these requirements likely need to be met.

You also legally need to keep a record of any treatments you hive the bees.
Yes second varroa treatment just added and they are up to weight with fondant added as well, mouse guards on.
Is the insurance a legal requirement for keeping or is this for sales of honey to the public? I presume it is a third party liability you are advising for sales etc..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back