Do/did you tell the neighbours when the bees moved in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do/did you tell the neighbours?

• Ask neighbours if ok to move in bees

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Inform them there will be hives

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Say nothing and just do it

Votes: 67 56.3%

• Total voters

MattC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just moved to a house with largish garden and tucked away space at the back that looks very suitable for an apiary... Tall fences and only one set of adjoining neighbours close by. In a similar situation, would you:

Ask them if ok to move the bees in?
Inform them they are coming?
Or say nothing and just do it, and deal with the inevitable questions later?

We didn't tell the neighbours but they are 300mts. away. If yours are closer it might be prudent to mention it just in case they are allergic, better to find out in advance than when you have bees there and the manure hits the impeller.

It rather depends on the type of bees you get, the sort of neighbours you have and the location of the apiary in relation to the potential flightpath they are likely to take over any adjacent properties.

I keep my bees in my garden in an urban setting - I've been open with my neighbours about my beekeeping but I did not seek their permission. My bees have not caused any problems so far but I am conscious of the fact that, if they did, I would have to move them.

There are no hard and fast rules - you just need to assess all the possibilities, likely problems and have Plan B in place in case it all goes arse over apex ....

I voted with "Say nothing and just do it" - because I have a large front garden with very high hedges nobody knew, that there were two hives or let alone two colonies of bees here....(and I was told in the 60s, this garden was used for beekeeping, only found that out recently...) - and I have two spots in the garden, if you put a hive there in swarming season, BINGO you'll get a swarm move in, ley lines!

but the honest truth was, when I started myself, I brought hives into the front garden, and two swarms turned up....and nobody knew they were there for 18 months...

I gave neighbours in the village jars of honey.... but I've since moved them to an out apiary. Not because of problems, but never felt comfortable, fully inspecting them, with neighbours, dogs, horses, children around....I was always mindful of that.

I my hobby should not impact their life...

why people feel the need to ask neighbours is beyond me....
if they object, does it make wanting bees go away?
had mine for 3yrs before the neighbours found out, they are ok, but it would have been a good arguing point had they objected

Most of mine are kept on my Dads farm, with his permission. But we do have the odd couple at home, both our neighbours are more than happy for us to have them. They have never caused any problems, the neighbours said they have never noticed them.

Tell them, give them a jar of honey. It does keep them sweet.

House opposite will be up for sale soon, thought I might put a WBC in the front garden with a notice, "Danger Honey Bees"!

That'll teach him to knock down the nesting house-martins!
And ensure we get the right sort moving in!

Didn't tell the neighbours (certainly wouldn't have asked their permission) it only becomes their business if the bees become a real problem.
As for the 'right sort' moving in - we solved that years ago in Wales - they were called Meibion Glyndŵr :D we now just have the for sale signs in Welsh

Last edited:
Didn't really get a chance. i was making a couple of swarm traps to hide out somewhere, hung the first one on the fence. went in the kitchen to make a coffee, thought i heard an old ww 11 plane nearby ran out to the back yard to catch a look for the plane and ran into a swarm (literally) ran back indoors cos i was scared s***less. shut all the windows and hid in the kitchen for half an hour !

its a funny one for me this my good neighbour that poisoned my bees and got council to get me to move them from my garden as been in touch with council again complaining that I have bees again in garden something I did not know about.just forgot about a old nuc at back of hut so had a quick look in it and there are 4 seams of bees in so for him to know that he as been on my garden again what next we are not going to be allowed in our own garden some folks are sick.

I remember the sketch: Come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales

I remember our houses burning, I remember the fights, I remember our house being covered in paint!

Something I'll never forget, and I'll never go back!

I could rant about it for hours.....

Latest posts

Back