DLQ unite or shake out?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Very disappointingly I looked at the last swarm I hived today. It was a cast swarm on 23rd July, last examined on 10th August when I saw the nice big dark queen, eggs and young brood and assumed she had just started to lay.
Yesterday I saw a worker carrying out a drone that looked like it had been removed from its cell just before it was ready to emerge (alive but moving very little, and still "furry").
Today I found the queen still present and a decent amount of stores but no eggs or brood except some scattered capped drone brood in worker comb ☹️
I've moved the hive so that foragers enter another hive.
Would I be best removing the queen and uniting with another hive, or shaking the remaining bees out in front of other colonies?

perfectly normal to see this when a queen has stopped laying, whether she's died or on a brood break, so at the moment the only thing you can state with any conviction is that the queen has stopped laying and the brood is all emerging just as you would expect.

Have you ever seen a property sealed worker brood from this Q?
For me, this does sound like a DLQ. Swarm from end of July, I wouldn’t expect a brood break by mid/end of Aug.

I guess I can give her another couple of weeks to see, but I'm not optimistic. I moved the hive back to its original position 1st thing this morning.
Might be worth me adding some ocimene to try to stop progression to laying workers.

When the queen is a drone layer, nothing helps the the colony any more in September.

And the next door hive doest not need neighbour drones with its mites. Neither its workers are needed.

Last edited:
I've left this out of curiousity more than anything. On 7/9 Q was still present though no open brood except a single charged QC. I guess this will contain a drone larva.
Does anyone know what a drone that emerges fro a QC looks like?.
No signs of laying workers.
I'm away fo a week now, then will be giving the stores to another colony and shaking out.

you wont get laying workers if there is a queen present.

Latest posts

Back