DIY honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcavebees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi guys, into my second year of beekeeping, made nucs, and national hives from reclaimed timber. Looking now for a extractor project.

Has anyone on forum built one? I know hedgerow Pete had a YouTube vid up of a simple two frame plywood one into a large bucket. Looking a step beyond this. Have skills but out of work due to disability so looking to fabricate.

First thoughts were of food grade plastic bucket 25l+ and put a sealed bearing in bottom to hold spindle. Always work best if I've seen one or plans. Any you guys done it?

Would someone post some pics of the insides of their extractor? Esp bottom inside?

Thanksnot worthy

Has anyone on forum built one? I know hedgerow Pete had a YouTube vid up of a simple two frame plywood one into a large bucket. Looking a step beyond this. Have skills but out of work due to disability so looking to fabricate.

First thoughts were of food grade plastic bucket 25l+ and put a sealed bearing in bottom to hold spindle. Always work best if I've seen one or plans. Any you guys done it?
Can't say I've actually tried it but thought about the idea. Tricky bit may be making sure it's all food grade. One possibility is that Th0rnes (and probably others) sell the cages separately as spares. If that could be mounted in a recycled food grade plastic container you might have something that would serve,

Ordered a stainless steel sealed bearing of eBay for bottom of extractor. Q - if I grease with bees wax and seal with bees wax will this maintain food grade status? In plastic food grade container. I assume that is what is used in store bought extractors. Do you guys have to treat your bearings after cleanup?

Thores bearing is a food safe plastic bush.
Mine has been in use for over 20 years :)
VM

Next Q is radial vs tangential. What are benefits of one over the other. Radial would be easier to fabricate but don't mind putting extra work into making tangential if of benefit. Any thoughts guys?

Thores bearing is a food safe plastic bush.

The actual bearing is a point contact with a ball bearing, the cup taking only the lateral loading while the ball will only rotate a minimal amount within the plastic cup (which obviously has to support the mass of the cage and contents). It is a simple solution that works very well, as VMs post demonstrates. But there again they are not used that long, or that often, by most users.

The ball bearing should, of course be stainless, but some, I fear, are not. Standard balls of that size are peanuts, S/S are not so easy to source.

Next Q is radial vs tangential. What are benefits of one over the other. Radial would be easier to fabricate but don't mind putting extra work into making tangential if of benefit. Any thoughts guys?

Anyone got a summary on benefits of each? What about heather? Is tangential required for heather or do you have to use heather press or cut comb?not worthy

If you need sizes of the inside cage I have found the template and could post them if required

Built one a few years ago pics on this link below
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9329&page=2

Thanks Redwood, I was looking at this last night in fact, well impressed sir!

Thank you both from my point of view. I've been thinking about how difficult this could be, and thanks to the previous thread, I'm much better informed :cheers2:not worthy

So, all I have to do now is get some stainless, a mechanism to bend it, some stainless mig wire, a barrel, a stainless bearing, a tap, a motor with some sort of speed controller, a cover, a stand, and I think that's about it.
Lash it all together,:smash: and then go and feed my bees because there's still not enough stores coming in their front door :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Still I suppose if I start now, it might be ready for next year :sifone:

I have found the template for the cage and the size is as follows
Os DIA OF LARGE RING 495mm
OS DIA OF INNER RING 225mm
THE RINGS AND CROSS SHAFTS ARE MADE FROM 8mm ROUND BAR
THE PEGS AND "D" SHAPED LUGS ARE 6mm ROUND BAR
THE CENTER SHAFT IS 10mm

Latest posts

Back