direction of the frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all

does it make any difference as to what way the frames in the brood chamber face in conjuntion with the hive entrance. if the entrance is the front does it matter if they run from side to side or front to back and if so why.

Last edited:
hi all

does it make any difference as to what way the frames in the brood chamber face in conjuntion with the hive entrance. if the entrance is the front does it matter if they run from side to side or front to back and if so why.

oh, a can of worms....warm way parellel to entrance or cold way at right angles to entrance

does it make a difference, no not with a OMF floor

i have hives with both but tend to think cold way works better with a new Nuc into a hive as thats the way a Nuc is set up....until this year when i found out that all the correx box Nuc we bought the beginers had entrances on the side :ack2:

Last edited:
I have always run my hives the cold way but I don’t think it makes a lot of differences and I like to work my hives from the side.

I have had both in my time run together though mind you I have used ventilated floors since 1988. Have a think about hat one.... pre varrora... uh huh...

Makes no damn odds at all. Absolutely none.

PH

My personal preference is warm way, purely because i like to work from behind the hive as mine are generally in a line of sorts and sometimes close together so side working is difficult.

Also due to most of my inspections taking place in the evening i have the sun to my back, so not in my eyes and also great for looking at frames with sun beaming over the shoulder!

An old timer once said to me that in the cold way every frame will have some guard bees on it (the entrance end of the frame) where as warm way only the 2 frames nearest the entrance will have them on, he reckoned that way if you got to the last 2 frames and they were being sods you could shut them up.

However i have never seen this to be overly true, a snotty hive :reddevil:is snotty from the second you open it up till the second you get back in the car to go home!

C B

I have had both in my time run together though mind you I have used ventilated floors since 1988. Have a think about hat one.... pre varrora... uh huh...

Makes no damn odds at all. Absolutely none.

PH

I never heard of a ventilated floor in 1988 :coolgleamA:.

John Wilkinson

Apparently, given a free choice (ie no frames/foundation/starter strips/top bars), bees will build comb oriented with the earth's magnetic field. So if it makes no odds otherwise, perhaps they will be happier if the frames are similarly arranged.

Apparently, given a free choice (ie no frames/foundation/starter strips/top bars), bees will build comb oriented with the earth's magnetic field. So if it makes no odds otherwise, perhaps they will be happier if the frames are similarly arranged.

YOu forgot the full moon.

Again and again.

There is no difference how frames are. It depends on type of the hive.

Cold or hot way depends on how much you keep entrance/bottom open.

Bees' free will; in my yard there is no such. I say what is good.

Apparently, given a free choice (ie no frames/foundation/starter strips/top bars), bees will build comb oriented with the earth's magnetic field.

Yeah, sure.

Don't ask the geezer who told you that for beekeeping advice.

Barry since I dont think this point has been posted yet - think about your comfort not just the bees. Will you work the hive from the back or the side? back then go 'cold way' front to back, work from side then go 'warm way' side to side. Just makes it easier for manipulation, turning frames to inspect both sides needs a contortionist at the best of times anyway!

:iagree:
'cold' way for inspections from the side.................

Cold or warm, if you are wondering, no this isn't a p*take!

I have ended up placing frames cold and inspecting from the back, such that a 90'C turn left and right (from the original frame position) allows a check of each side.

RAB / Tony you both have gravitated to the reverse (which I was taught, tried and was not comfortable with) beacuse of a full 180 spin correct?

Cold or warm, if you are wondering, no this isn't a p*take!

I have ended up placing frames cold and inspecting from the back, such that a 90'C turn left and right (from the original frame position) allows a check of each side.

RAB / Tony you both have gravitated to the reverse (which I was taught, tried and was not comfortable with) beacuse of a full 180 spin correct?

yep, you are correct, 'tis how I was taught, and I find it easy to move the frames around this way

Rostie,

I personally care not which way. The Dartingtons are all warm way and mostly worked from the side. Some on here have disliked and even discarded Dartingtons for that very reason.

I work where there is space, sometimes compromises are necessary.

As I have said previously, it is only square boxed hives which have a choice. The most common hive type in the world is cold way.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back