Different reactions to different types of bee sting ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stucat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Has anyone any experience of very different reactions to bee stings.
I have like most ,stopped really noticing stings after the first 10 secs or so.
But 2 of the black bee(mostly black to look at)swarms i took in this year are causing much more swelling, minor necrosis and weeping from the site.
2 stings on the back of my hand which would normally make me smile( I crushed my hands years ago and until I took up Beekeeping I was getting biannual cortisone injections to keep working) those stings would mean months of pain free boat building, but on this occasion it meant a comedy boxing glove for the next 3 days. I'm still having little or no reaction to my other colonies.
Is it that the antigens are colony specific or do some bees just have much higher venom levels ?

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12576 This has been discussed before. Years ago, bees from one particular hive stung me and the swelling wouldn't go down after a week. My doctor suggested a tetanus injection which appeared to solve the problem, although this may be a coincidence.
Except that was someone asking if he was becoming more tolerant, I'm tolerant to other bees but not these 2 new ones apparently.
I understand the variation in delivery, but much of that is fairly constant ie. my response.
The fact that my reaction to other stings hasn't changed says there's something different about the stings . perhaps they are better at delivering it, perhaps they have more venom, or perhaps it's a response to a different protein in the sting. I'm still no clearer.
It can't be the " other people's bees" hurt more , because they're mine.
Oh ,and a tetanus booster last year.

Last edited:
Don't get much reaction from bee stings these days, but was stung by a bumble last week and there is still a bit of a red patch even though the swelling has gone down. Very surprised how the site of the sting reacted.
Possible make up of venom differs between species and so immune system needs to adjust?:)

Don't get much reaction from bee stings these days, but was stung by a bumble last week and there is still a bit of a red patch even though the swelling has gone down. Very surprised how the site of the sting reacted.
Possible make up of venom differs between species and so immune system needs to adjust?:)

That's what I'm thinking, I know its like that with other insects. I don't get bothered by mosquitoes except in Cuba where I'd bleed out if I went out at dusk and each bite leaves a lump like a tennis ball.
Odd you should react to a bumble bee sting, I didn't think they had any venom. A painful sting, but no venom(I'm probably about to learn something).

I guess I'd need to have blood serum levels compared after stings from different colonies to prove this.

That's what I'm thinking, I know its like that with other insects. I don't get bothered by mosquitoes except in Cuba where I'd bleed out if I went out at dusk and each bite leaves a lump like a tennis ball.
Odd you should react to a bumble bee sting, I didn't think they had any venom. A painful sting, but no venom(I'm probably about to learn something).

All bumbles can sting as far as I'm aware. They are just very reluctant usually. They can sting multiple times. This one was trapped and very agitated so my own fault as I usually cup them in my hands and put them outside. It got trapped between two fingers so stung me. Whether there was a bit of infection as well, which made the swelling worse I do not know. Still slight bruise after a week, so potent stuff! :)

I guess I'd need to have blood serum levels compared after stings from different colonies to prove this.

Rather you than me Stucat. Sounds like quite a sacrifice for science to me. :eek:

Back