Didn't think there was any near to me ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes, the last ice age, but then we didn't get anything that didn't travel under its own steam - most of which was present before the last ice age. Actually we, (the UK), ended up with several species less as the waters closed because many species were to slow to "get back", hence no snakes in Ireland.

This as you will appreciate ITLD isn't the same as being introduced by humans from other parts of the planet.

I can't see any objective logic in trying to pick and choose which species you like and which you don't like simply based on personal preferences, in this case what suits bee keepers.:rolleyes:

Chris

any I do propagate will be controlled to prevent spread
thumb.gif

To propagate it is unlawful to knowingly propagate ipso facto is reckless (in the legal sense) with a 10 metre spread when the seed pods burst are you sure you can catch each and every seed?

Well if we go down the "introduced" = bad scenario, we should exterminate:

Rabbits
grey squirrels
rhododendrons
Oriental poppies
macaws and parakeets.
red currants
beet sugar
sweet corn
oil seed rape
wheat,
potatoes
tomatoes
etc
:conehead:

not to mention Brussels Sprout..

Completely agree we should get rid of the highlighted ones above, in the wild I mean.

Well if we go down the "introduced" = bad scenario, we should exterminate:

Rabbits
grey squirrels

I am trying, but am only one man with a PCP air rifle and only a few shooting permissions :)

wheat,
sweet corn
potatoes
tomatoes
Once successful in obtaining the Rabbits and Squirrels these will be utilised to produce the basis of a kick arse meal/BBQ!

macaws and parakeets.
Let me check if they are on the authorised shooting list :reddevil:

rhododendrons
Oriental poppies
red currants
beet sugar
oil seed rape

Not on the list at the moment, know any good recipes and they could be ;-)

not to mention Brussels Sprout..

Christmas in Chez Geek does have a rather adverse affect on Global warming with methane by products, but we are trying to offset our carbon footprint while eliminating these wonderful little flavour bundles:eek:

A few interesting recipes for parakeets in the original Mrs Beetons book - maybe Nigellla should bother here fat ar$e and start a new fad!! :D

How do you "bother a fat ar$e?"
Is this a Welsh thing?
:eek:

Hi Chris Luck
Are you an ex-pat living in France now, and if so what do you care about what now grows in Britain. Just don't understand why you are so het up about HB. By my local river some 200 yds from my hives there is HB growing in damp ground that would just be bog, it's not doing any harm and the ground would be unused, it dies back and will not be seen again until the summer next year, plenty of time for the nettles to grow.

To propagate it is unlawful to knowingly propagate ipso facto is reckless (in the legal sense) with a 10 metre spread when the seed pods burst are you sure you can catch each and every seed?

Not quite right, it is perfectly legal to grow it in your garden, it is only illegal to plant, or otherwise cause to grow, Himalayan balsam in the wild.

Control is simple, cut before seed pods mature or if you wish to collect the seeds grow the plant you wish to harvest in pots and when flowers start to show use a mosquito net type arrangement to catch all seeds

Last edited:
Hi Chris Luck
Are you an ex-pat living in France now, and if so what do you care about what now grows in Britain. Just don't understand why you are so het up about HB. By my local river some 200 yds from my hives there is HB growing in damp ground that would just be bog, it's not doing any harm and the ground would be unused, it dies back and will not be seen again until the summer next year, plenty of time for the nettles to grow.

Well I'm an immigrant really, I think that's what we are called and I'm not "het up", you'd like to see me when I am but I save that for face to face.

My interest is because it's what I'm involved with, wildlife and conservation, it knows no borders and people both here and there spend valuable time and money trying to clear up the mess that others make - either deliberately or through ignorance that compound an already difficult situation for many native species.

Chris

My interest is because it's what I'm involved with, wildlife and conservation, it knows no borders and people both here and there spend valuable time and money trying to clear up the mess that others make - either deliberately or through ignorance that compound an already difficult situation for many native species.
Chris

:iagree:
we won't see the real impact of HB for a few years but bank erosion etc will definitely be exacerbated by this - got enough of a job fighting knotweed in our area and repairing broken banks - don't need HB to add to the problem. Lovely looking plant and I accept we can never eradicate it but it must be kept under control.
Being heavily involved in angling and river conservation in my area believe you me I've weighed up both sides of the balsam argument:)

How many exactly? it's been loose in the wild for near on 2 hundred years now

That's not exactly true is it? I never saw it anywhere when I lived there and I'm sure I would have done so I suspect it's only really got going in the last 20 or perhaps 30 years.

Chris

There's been a serious upsurge in our area in the last 5-10 years. If this rise is exponential it will be horrific in another decade. In meeting i chair/attend i would say the last five years it gets discussed more and more in fact it's almost completely taken over the agenda from Knotweed - and believe you me that is a serious problem on South Wales river corridors.

That's not exactly true is it? I never saw it anywhere when I lived there and I'm sure I would have done so I suspect it's only really got going in the last 20 or perhaps 30 years.

Chris

It was introduced into the UK in 1839 it was from this original introduction that it made it's way into the wild, so yes that is true, Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it wasn't there does it?

It was introduced into the UK in 1839 it was from this original introduction that it made it's way into the wild, so yes that is true, Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it wasn't there does it?

Doesn't change the fact that it's a problem NOW does it?

Well I love the HB it gives the do gooders something else to moan about ;)

FACT - Japanese Knotweed is far more invasive than HB and certainly more of a nightmare to control and deal with.

Bottom line is we can all sit here debating the pro's and con's of HB, truth is it's here and here to stay, I seriously doubt it will ever be wiped from UK soil ever.

Latest posts

Back