Did the oxalic today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people treat during the last week of Dec and first in Jan.

Deed done has anyone checked the mite drop? reactions?

Pleased, Happy, OK, Concerned, Worried, Suicidal etc. etc.

For the record I am "happy" with all but one of my colonies which falls into my "Concerned" category :willy_nilly:

We have counted 28 mites after oxalic treatment from five hives more than pleased with the results.Shows the apiguard does a good job.We also noticed last year the bees were cleaning each other more than other years so maybe its new trait in the bees.

Colin,

I hope you get more than that, for the trouble and potential strife to the bees!

I most certainly would not be treating mine for an average drop of less than six! Maybe your results are interim and not final ones, but I really do consider it an unecessary treatment in most cases.

It is good for you to find that your previous treatment worked, but even if you left just the odd mite or two, after Thymol treatment, I would expect at least 4 by now.

I certainly think that Hivemaker's treatment regime appears to be very effective without any need to resort to oxalic acid treatment for mites, or fumadil-B for nosema, or (many, or even any) extra treatments for acarine, if, as he points out that has been his successful method for the past (8) seasons - and I, for one, would not argue with him on that!

If there are other effects of oxalic acid that may be 'not so good' for the colony, there must be a case for non-use in circumstances other than when a definite requirement.

I am going to oxalic fumigate just three of my (few) colonies over the next week if the weather holds. They will not be my potential breeding-queen colonies, by the way.

Regards, RAB

I'm a first year keeper.
In all of my autumn thymol Tx I have seen a mite drop of 13 in one hive, 6 in one and 14 in the last (that being over 4 weeks). I have watched , carefully, the thread on Oxalic Tx and decided, in the end, to treat. I did this 2 days ago and I've left the trays in to monitor mite drop.
I was really pleased to see that I had more seams of bees than I dared to expect.

I prefer a check after 3 days then after 7days and weekly until the drop tails off. It makes the counting much easier - less debris to peer atbee-smillie

E-0.5-B, and the mite drop after treatment?
Drop after five days,
13 from the hive derived from the nuc I bought in June which swarmed :blush5::blush5:
Zero from hive that contains the swarm which issued
4 from the hive housing the nuc I got from my BKA

Latest posts

Back