Devil's Advocate .........Tainted?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
What does honey tainted with thymol taste like?

Has anyone out there in the greater beekeepering land actually noticed it tainting honey??

is tainting possibilities the only reason why api gaaard and api vaaarh specify removal of supers before use?

Will my head really swell up like Herman Munster's if I eat it?

:willy_nilly:

yep, I've tasted tainted (apiguard) honey, and mead!
the taste ain't that repulsive, in fact it tastes almost medicinal.

is tainting possibilities the only reason

No. Space consideration, less for the teatment to have a higher efficacy.

The judge at our honey show rejected a few jars for Thymol taint - tastes a bit soapy. A lot of mouthwashes contain Thymol so you can always try one of these for the 'experience' if you like :)

having made up a batch of hivemakers emulsion yesterday i seem to be accompanied by a cloud of thymol. i like the smell.

i presume no-one moves hives onto thyme fields?

i presume the greek forage is mixed herb though?

perhaps the universal blue paint is to indicate thymol tainted????

Grayling... the fish ... is supposed to have an aroma of thyme about it
Hence the latin binomial / name Thymus thymus??
Never eaten one as I return all the fish I catch ( except may I add for Rainbow trout and Mackerell !!)

Last edited:
Grayling don't taste of Thyme (apparantly) but if you take a sniff of one when you catch it it does have a faint hint of Thyme to it. I've tried it, bit embarassing really up to my waist on the rivet test at Broadlands with my nostrils caressing a grayling, looked up to see the current Earl Mountbatten giving me a very strange look indeed!!:eek:

I can't taste it but my daughter the dentist says it tastes like the mouthwash she uses in the surgery.

You can and I have bought honey from greece which is maketed as thyme honey very thick and dark very nice too.

ZZ:biggrinjester:

Lol HM syrup is still in my nose after 5 days think i am gonna kinda miss it lol when it goes.

ZZ

:rolleyes:

yep, I've tasted tainted (apiguard) honey, and mead!
the taste ain't that repulsive, in fact it tastes almost medicinal.
The smell is like some of the elements of the heavily peated Scotch malts, Lagavulin or Ardbeg for instance. They start at around 30 quid a bottle.

The smell is like some of the elements of the heavily peated Scotch malts, Lagavulin or Ardbeg for instance. They start at around 30 quid a bottle.

Personally, I prefer a port cask myself!

:sifone:

Latest posts

Back