Destroying queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorgal

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I am pretty new to this, in fact i have some diy brood boxes with lure and foundation. Getting a few scouts but the ball hasnt started rolling yet for me. Someone mentioned to me that someone destroyed some queen cells. I am thinking its a pity as it was suggested I was looking to start beekeeping. Just wondering the formality in the situation regarding queen cells. I am guessing its not related to the decline of bees?

Hi and welcome.
You can’t start a colony with one queen cell.
Queen cells are usually destroyed to reduce the number in the colony to one for a number of reasons.
The best thing you can do at present is to join your local beekeeping association and visit their training apiary once a week.

I am pretty new to this, in fact i have some diy brood boxes with lure and foundation. Getting a few scouts but the ball hasnt started rolling yet for me. Someone mentioned to me that someone destroyed some queen cells. I am thinking its a pity as it was suggested I was looking to start beekeeping. Just wondering the formality in the situation regarding queen cells. I am guessing its not related to the decline of bees?
Honey bees are not in decline. Anyone telling you they are is selling something.

Other bugs including various bee species need help, not honey bees.

Regarding queen cells, honey bees are not like bumblebees. You can't start with just a queen, you need thousands of workers too.

Thankyou for your replies. Seem as though its early days and I have a lot to learn.
There's always plenty to learn. Here's a great place for it and there are many with tonnes and tons of experience.

Remember with any sort of kept animals many of the 'rules' are more like guidelines and everyone gets stuff wrong - it can be a steep learning curve at the start.

All the best with your beekeeping journey.

Ian has a story about that:LOL:
I had a guy contact me because me mentioned to his sons he fancied starting beekeeping so they bought him a hive and a queen!
In the end I gave him a few frames of bees to put his queen on.

The one about the chainsaw....
Guy walks into the mower shop and says" I've got a whole patch of woodland to clear so I need the best chainsaw on the market"
Mower guy says "You'll need this one sir but it's rather expensive"
"Fine I'll take it"
Three weeks later he storms back in and slams the chainsaw on the counter.
"Its absolutely f.useless -so far it's only got halfway through one tree trunk!!"
Mower guy says "let's have a look" and starts up the saw.
Customer with his hands over his ears shouts"what the hell is that noise!!! "

Latest posts

Back