Depression Easing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Went up to the bees to chop down some of the bushes etc that had grown since last year, let a bit more light through, over 10 deg, all hives flying, thinking of moving them forward a few feet so they get sunlight for longer, and it will help when inspecting. plopped the bases down, nothing technical, few landed on me so i just sat down watched them, till they flew off. its the little things in life that make the day a good one.

Hi Griz

I thought you had moved on from the garden center site?

Nice to see bees bringing pollen in to my hives today.

lol, maybe you should keep them in the house, god forbid they should get wet!

any why bricks? no way are those lids going to blow off :)

JD

Hey Jimbo, good to see you have surfaced again.

I was getting narky with the constant bonfires but i spent so much time clearing that site and rebuidling the shelter etc, i decided to give it a bit longer, dont think i would find anywhere else locally with so much forage.

Hey Jimbo, good to see you have surfaced again.

with so much forage.

Forage!!! You keep your bees in an ever restocking tropical nature reserve.

Surfaced again, yes after sorting out a couple of issues!

JD

I think the bricks might be his note keeping method?

lol, maybe you should keep them in the house, god forbid they should get wet!

JD
Looks like a wind tunnel to me ,so maybe the bricks are a good idea :)

John Wilkinson

why bricks? no way are those lids going to blow off :)

JD

Valid point, its just become a habit i guess, and it can be a bit of a wind tunnel, i built a wind break behind the hives but its still work in progress.

Really like your whole set up, beautifully kept hives, everything protected and close to hand and no heavy drumming of rain on the rooftops that bees apparantly hate. No wonder your bees are all well and flying.

Today been preparing a bed in the bee garden and sowing borage seeds - late I know but so is Spring. Other wild flowers to go in later. I was weeding and raking right amongst all the bees flying but they were so relaxed I took my veil off and was still not stung - doubt it will last.

I planted some wild flower seeds a week ago in preperation for getting bees. I've heard willow trees are good for bees?

Valid point, its just become a habit i guess, and it can be a bit of a wind tunnel, i built a wind break behind the hives but its still work in progress.

funny enough bricks do have another good use, once you get above 2 hives and your over the age of 20 its easy to forget what you have checked, I know of commercial guys who turn the bricks in a set way as they do the weekly checks so they know what has been done when faced with 20+ hives

Pussy willow is brilliant, one of my neighbours has a very mature tree and once the buds open the whole tree is thrumming with ours and a feral colony that has lived in the top of an oast house for as long as anyone can remember. I know I bang on about it but thyme planted round the hives, gives natural thymol that the bees can use as they require. Lavender of course, and if you have a moist damp area nearby purple loosestrife for beautiful flowers and rich nectar source that the bees go for in droves. Happy planting.

Latest posts

Back