Demeree Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a related question.

Yesterday I did my first Demaree (or thats what I am calling it!). Had issues locating the queen so shook all into new bottom box (only foundation and a frame of partial BIAS - my first error no doubt), then added a Qx, 2 x supers, Qx, original brood box. crown board, roof.

I have not made an entrance for the top brood box - is this wrong or is this only required if I am trying to make increase (i.e. so a new virgin queen can get mated)?

My plan is to check the top box in a few days to destroy any queen cells and then start to swap one or two frames from the bottom with the top to help manage swarming.

What I want to achieve is a proactive anti swarming method - I am not looking to make increase.
That's exactly how I started and it went downhill rapidly from there on. You've done the right thing coming for advice at this stage, I messed up and split them mixing up methods in my head. I'm getting sorted now with some excellent advice from one source only.
Try to follow one trusted source is my advice.
Good luck.

Yesterday I did my first Demaree (or thats what I am calling it!). Had issues locating the queen so shook all into new bottom box (only foundation and a frame of partial BIAS - my first error no doubt),
No - the best thing to do if you can't find her
then added a Qx, 2 x supers, Qx, original brood box. crown board, roof.
nothing wrong so far
I have not made an entrance for the top brood box - is this wrong or is this only required if I am trying to make increase (i.e. so a new virgin queen can get mated)?
You don't have to make a top entrance - it just saves having a load of newly emerged drones desperate to go clubbing, just be prepared every time you do open up to be met with a load of drones making a quick getaway
My plan is to check the top box in a few days to destroy any queen cells and then start to swap one or two frames from the bottom with the top to help manage swarming.

What I want to achieve is a proactive anti swarming method - I am not looking to make increase.
Nothing wrong with anything you've done thus far

The trick is to save yourself some work so unless you want to harvest even more QCs (I tend to limit to one nuc off each Demarree to avoid affecting the honey crop) by only moving sealed brood up you don't need to worry so much about missing a QC

Given that I'm thinking there may be quite an extended period of OSR flowering here this year, a rolling demaree is looking like it could be a sensible option as long as I have enough supers to keep everything going. I was sort of hoping to break myself in gently given that it's not a form of swarm management that I've tried before, but such is life.

Is there a point at which most of the foraging force is actually using the top entrance because that was the closest entrance when they started flying? Or do they tend to migrate downwards?

James

Given that I'm thinking there may be quite an extended period of OSR flowering here this year, a rolling demaree is looking like it could be a sensible option as long as I have enough supers to keep everything going. I was sort of hoping to break myself in gently given that it's not a form of swarm management that I've tried before, but such is life.

Is there a point at which most of the foraging force is actually using the top entrance because that was the closest entrance when they started flying? Or do they tend to migrate downwards?

James
taking a leaf out of Dani and JBM book, i use a rolling demaree and works a treat....in terms of which entrance though, I certainly havent been able to tell much difference, they have both been crazy and middle supers and 2-3 supers above UBB all filling fast

Is there a point at which most of the foraging force is actually using the top entrance because that was the closest entrance when they started flying?
I've found that the majority use the lower entrance; it's just the fact that it's a much smaller aperture that makes it look busy - same as in the evening during the ripening sessions, you see most of the fanning at the lower entrance

With the rolling Demaree, do you replace the frame moved to the top BB with a frame with foundation (in the bottom BB)?

Latest posts

Back