Dehumidifier

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I'm after buying one - running 10 hives at the moment so can't afford anything too expensive.
Any recommendations?

I'm after buying one - running 10 hives at the moment so can't afford anything too expensive.
Any recommendations?
I have a De Longhi 14 bought on ebay nearly two years ago, not the cheapest around but you get what you pay for. No problems to date

Use it BEFORE the honey is out the comb. top tip...

PH

Thanks. Will investigate both.
It's still in the comb.

How do I stack the supers - with a small wedge between each to allow airflow?

Bought an Ebac model. Not cheap but you get what you pay for! This will make your skin all wrinkly! Great for drying clothes too. Astonishing how much water it sucks out of the air.

Hi Moggs,

How much water does your one get in 24H, as this one pulls something like 12 litres max. You would have to be damp to get that rate to be fair.

Peter, what I did last year was stack the suppers on a crown board, and one on top. Then put them on the edge of the freezer with a gap of 5cm also at the bottom, so that the dry air was blowing up into the stack, and out the opposite site with 5cm clearance.

I had a "box" which took three stacks of supers arranged to have the combs ALL in the same direction. Thirty supers at a time.

Cold air blown through it all from a fan, and the dehumidifier working in the room.

Could take it as low as 17%

PH

Hi Moggs,

How much water does your one get in 24H, as this one pulls something like 12 litres max. You would have to be damp to get that rate to be fair.

Sean - piece of string question! The tank capacity is 3.5 litres. The unit is rated at 21 l/day. As you say, that's damp and thankfully, ours has never filled more than a single tank in a day, even with the moisture of a couple of washing machine loads (post 1400 rpm spin). That said, as I understand it, unless used on permanent 'boost', the unit operates on some sort of humidistat sensor.

We have an aircon / heater unitin the conservatory.
In theory this should be a dehumidifier - any thoughts?

Ours, that died before we had any honey to reduce enabled us to attach a pipe to the outlet to run into a bigger enclosed container. Had to raise the dehumidifier off the floor for it to work but great if going on holiday...... eh? whats one of those?

Reckon you could probably do that with any type.

I had a "box" which took three stacks of supers arranged to have the combs ALL in the same direction. Thirty supers at a time.

Cold air blown through it all from a fan, and the dehumidifier working in the room.

Could take it as low as 17%

PH

Doesn't the cold air speed up crystallisation? Or does the process not take long enough for that to matter?

Got an Ebac in the end.
3 days it took it down from 22 to 18.
Thanks for all the replies.

Something wrong there, mine used to do that over night.

PH

Gt the set up wrong at first, so perhaps 24 hours would be more accurate.
Also, room not really small enough. Will try utility room next time.

Latest posts

Back