Dedicated to Candle Making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
91B8B442-401B-4E21-8BB1-B8246444D0ED.jpegI’m hoping the wick on this one is right!

You mix wax with a little coconut oil and lots of essential oil ( some people use pre-blended fragrance oils but I suspect a lot of them are synthetic) then pour into little moulds. You pop the melt into an oil burner and the melting wax gives off the fragrance. I make them for the kids for Christmas.
I've not come across wax melts before - 'er indoors is always lighting fragrant tea lights ... is this the sort of thing you use with the melts or am I missing something ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spaas-Wax-...=1605035391&s=kitchen&sr=1-11&ts_id=213886031

I've not come across wax melts before - 'er indoors is always lighting fragrant tea lights ... is this the sort of thing you use with the melts or am I missing something ?

Yes. I sent some to my daughter in Berlin and she has just sent me this. She says I am a magician

Attachments

• 80dfda38-aa84-4f06-89f6-ac06dfe0cbda.JPG
    80dfda38-aa84-4f06-89f6-ac06dfe0cbda.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 35
Yes. I sent some to my daughter in Berlin and she has just sent me this. She says I am a magician
Lovely ... I have some ideas where I can combine woodturning with candle making with wax melts to come up with something like this ... but better ....

Burner.jpg

Lovely ... I have some ideas where I can combine woodturning with candle making with wax melts to come up with something like this ... but better ....

View attachment 22935
Philip I can imagine what you might do with that idea.
Just use an unscented beeswax tea light to power it.
I have some lovely wax melt recipes if you're interested
AND if you make a spare burner I'll buy one ........:love:

Dani, would you be willing to share your recipes with me?
Many thanks.
There are a few things to remember and once you have this list you can make your own recipes
Essential oils are grouped together and some groups blend well with others
So
Citrus with Floral Mint and Spice
Spice with Floral Wood and Citrus
Herb with Wood and Mint
Tree/Wood with Floral Herb Mint Spice and Citrus
Floral with Spice Wood and Citrus

Uplifting and energising oils are peppermint, sweet orange, spearmint, rosemary and lemongrass
Relaxing oils are lavender, ylang ylang, bergamot, chamomile, jasmine, frankincense, and clary sage
For getting to sleep lavender, sweet marjoram, bergamot, Valerian and sandalwood
There is an almost endless pantry of essential oils for anything and everything and some oils are more overpowering than others so you use less in the mix. It's just practice.

Here are a few foolproof ones and their proportions
Frankincense 6 Fir 3 Cedar 2 smells like a walk in the woods
A wonderful calming mix is Rosemary 5 Ginger7 Fir 11 Frankincense 5 Orange 10 Lavender 20 Chamomile 3 Geranium 6 or less complicated equal parts of Chamomile Bergamot and Blue Cypress
Bedtime Lavender 2 Valerian 1 Cedar 2 Rosemary 1
A good refreshing mix is Lemongrass 2 Eucalyptus 1 Ginger 1
You can ket your imagination go mad with Christmas blends. I'm doing Cinnamon Bark 30 Ginger 25 Nutmeg 15 and Clove 10
and Frankincense Myrrh Pine Cypress in equal amounts
Plus mixes with oranges and woody oils

Hope that helps

There are a few things to remember and once you have this list you can make your own recipes
Essential oils are grouped together and some groups blend well with others
So
Citrus with Floral Mint and Spice
Spice with Floral Wood and Citrus
Herb with Wood and Mint
Tree/Wood with Floral Herb Mint Spice and Citrus
Floral with Spice Wood and Citrus

Uplifting and energising oils are peppermint, sweet orange, spearmint, rosemary and lemongrass
Relaxing oils are lavender, ylang ylang, bergamot, chamomile, jasmine, frankincense, and clary sage
For getting to sleep lavender, sweet marjoram, bergamot, Valerian and sandalwood
There is an almost endless pantry of essential oils for anything and everything and some oils are more overpowering than others so you use less in the mix. It's just practice.

Here are a few foolproof ones and their proportions
Frankincense 6 Fir 3 Cedar 2 smells like a walk in the woods
A wonderful calming mix is Rosemary 5 Ginger7 Fir 11 Frankincense 5 Orange 10 Lavender 20 Chamomile 3 Geranium 6 or less complicated equal parts of Chamomile Bergamot and Blue Cypress
Bedtime Lavender 2 Valerian 1 Cedar 2 Rosemary 1
A good refreshing mix is Lemongrass 2 Eucalyptus 1 Ginger 1
You can ket your imagination go mad with Christmas blends. I'm doing Cinnamon Bark 30 Ginger 25 Nutmeg 15 and Clove 10
and Frankincense Myrrh Pine Cypress in equal amounts
Plus mixes with oranges and woody oils

Hope that helps
Thank you!

I’ve discovered this 😂
I’ve stuck with the sizing of the well known supplier from Wragby

Did have a sizing list from CWJ.... somewhere but lost in our move to Cornwall some years ago!

#links or attachments of wick sizes would be greatly appreciated by all I expect.

Chons da

Dani, Is there an on-line supplier of essential oils you can recommend ?

As a beginner, what would be the best shape to start with when making candles?
Thanks
short and squat I'd say - there's some nice little skep shaped candles which aren't too difficult to get a good cast from. Long thin candles (dinner candles and such like) take a bit more concentration and application

Latest posts

Back