Dadant or Thorne Empire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the design advantage that the dadant has is the air feed into the centre of the chamber, I'm totally convinced that the dadant is easier to run than the average competition and that air tube is the only difference I can see.
:iagree:

I think the design advantage that the dadant has is the air feed into the centre of the chamber, I'm totally convinced that the dadant is easier to run than the average competition and that air tube is the only difference I can see.
And that 'tube' is more a folded piece of metal ;)

What day are you going,Archie?
I'll be there all day on Friday, and Thursday afternoon and evening (Central Association evening: Robert Pickard in conversation with Richard Rickitt).

Hope we can have another little (or bigger) meet up. The last two years has been Friday lunch I think.

I was looking at Saturday but the more interesting lectures (for me) appear to be on Thursday and (especially) Friday - these things are never straightforward.
I’m there Thursday so we will have to have coffee sometime.

It was a dadant-style, identical dimensions, just v poor quality from a certain company notorious for poor kit and poorer service - in fairness it's served me well and not been treat kindly in it's 4 or 5yrs.
It was a dadant-style, identical dimensions, just v poor quality from a certain company notorious for poor kit and poorer service - in fairness it's served me well and not been treat kindly in it's 4 or 5yrs.
So you've never actually had a dadant smoker, just a cheap lookalike. In that case the answer's obvious. Buy a dadant.

Although not needed I use the basket insert that Thornes sell inside of the Large Dadant, it works brilliantly. Start the fire with insert out of the smoker and then drop it in when well lit.
I like the sound of that, can't see it on Thorne's website though.

I just break up an egg box, light a piece and drop it in the smoker and chuck a bit more on top. Once the flames start, stuff the fuel in, rotten wood, few handfuls of hay and give it a few puffs before closing the lid.
Lasts for ages and doesn't go out.

So you've never actually had a dadant smoker, just a cheap lookalike. In that case the answer's obvious. Buy a dadant.
I think you should've read the thread from the start and you'd see that I did end up getting a Dadant, and am v happy with it. If you want to be a pedant about me using the name as descriptor instead of posting a photo of the thing, we'll be here a v long time. Or is this directed somehow at someone else, post my June 7th comment on how much better it was than the cheap one? I'm a little bemused.

I just break up an egg box, light a piece and drop it in the smoker and chuck a bit more on top. Once the flames start, stuff the fuel in, rotten wood, few handfuls of hay and give it a few puffs before closing the lid.
Lasts for ages and doesn't go out.
My variant is to get the smoker going, add rolled up shredded cardboard mat packing, some green oak wood shavings and make a ball of green grass to top it off. The cardboard often comes with mail orders and provided there is an absence of horrible sellotape is decent. The wooden cat litter mentioned by others seems a bit like my green oak, but the litter is often scented and not as cheap.
I suspect the grass produces tarry deposits which I burn off with a blow torch, but it makes smoke!

Although not needed I use the basket insert that Thornes sell inside of the Large Dadant, it works brilliantly. Start the fire with insert out of the smoker and then drop it in when well lit.
Thanks for this, my debit card was burning a hole in my pocket and I can't justifiably explain any more bee-related purchases as I've got industrial quantities of frames, hives, OA and fondant - this fits the bill! I swear we're all bloody addicted. It's an utter obsession 😩

Latest posts

Back