cutting stainless steel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Ok I want to cut a hole big enough to drop a sink into a stainless steel worktop. What is the best way to do it?
I have a 4 and a 12 inch angle grinder with diamond blade would these work?
Or would I be better off using a jig saw?
Only asking as only used to working with wood

hello Veg

personally I would have it plasma cut at a local steel fabricator workshop ,grinding will cause you dust problems ,jig sawing will be like using a can opener !!!,

Yep a plasma cutter does it in seconds with a clean cut or have lots of zigzag lines with a jig saw, would not attempt to cut it with a angle grinder the heat generated will cause discoloration

Forgot to say it will have to be done in situ in the honey room. Not too bothered about dust as it can be cleaned up just want it to be a nice job.

Depending on the thickness a nibbler might be a cheap effective option. Also will depend on the overlap of the sink, as to how much imperfection can be covered up.

jig saw then with good quality fine toothed blades and a flap sanding disc fitted to your angle grinder

I assume stainless steel work top is 2-3 mm thick? Use your angle grinder but with a 1mm cutting disc made for Stainless fine cutting.

It will cut through it like the preverubale hot knife through butter, without the snagging and jumping of a jigsaw and because the disc is so thin, will be virtually blue'ing free

Most sinks allow 10- 20mm overlap so quite a large tolerance for comers that can be square.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120595671...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2602wt_754

The 1mm cutting discs are the way to go I have cut SS sheet with them and they work great.

Also I don’t think you will be able to get a blade for your jig saw to cut SS?

I agree. Cutting disc is the way to go. Lots of dust. Make sure you have a respirator, gloves and goggles. Tabe up your trouser legs and sleeves as the dust will go everywhere. If you can get one, wear a welder's hood to stop it going down the back of your neck. To be honest, I think the jigsaw is a non starter. A 9 inch angle grinder with a slitting disc for stainless steel will be a lot better than a 4 inch.

:iagree:1mm cutting discs on 4'' grinder let the disc do the work DONT force it like the thicker discs nice and gentle and it will cut through like knive through butter on the corners i take it there round so draw the line of the sink cut across the corner at 45o and cut back using a thick grinding disc as through you are grinding the edge till you profile it out to the line perfect shape for your sink to fit in PS take off any sharpe burs/edges with a file

Thanks all I have ordered the cutting discs.

Just make sure it doesn't kick out. If if does, then the grinder will end up skating over your nice worksurface. The 1mm disks also have a nasty habit of breaking up, not sure if you can get them for 9" grinders?

I would do it with a plasma.

rae no the biggest is 5'' as i use them all the time the best way is to let them do the work NEVER push them or they start to buckle and then snag and break just be gentle with them

Finally got round to cutting the top. The disk worked a treat no burn marks and easy to use thanks all. not worthy

Depending on the thickness a nibbler might be a cheap effective option. Also will depend on the overlap of the sink, as to how much imperfection can be covered up.

You took the words out of my mouth, RAB. Nibbler should prevent deformation and discolouration.

Latest posts

Back