Cutting poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have some swienty poly hives that are jumbo langstroth and was wondering about cutting them down to be standard langstroth height.

Has anyone had experience with this?

It will be difficult to get the accuracy you require. I have used a router on a poly hive but the tool tends to heat up and melt the plastic.

It is possible if you have access to a good table saw, and ideally one where the blade can be slowed right down, it could be cut down.

I wouldn't have thought it too difficult with a hand saw, take it slowly, so not to melt, but cut through.

Table saw is only reasonable tool. If not own, then use your neighbour's.
I have cutted them about 10 boxes to nuc slices.

When cutting surface will be rough, you may smoothen it with Bison polyurethane tube jelly. A fine layer and then put it aginst the plastic folio surface and let it harden.

Last edited:
It will not succeed.

I've cut huge sheets of perspex, and kingspan with a hand saw, no problems, so why is a poly hive different?
it's only 4 straight cuts, one each side, after all

Having despaired of a MB 14 x 12 EVER appearing despite countless promises I cut down a super and adding each half to a standard national I made two.
A table saw did the job

Having made hundreds of poly cuts in the past due to there not being supers available I cut down the broods to make supers and from the offcuts made a further super. Four broods made five supers.

The key to successful sawing is as said a table saw but also a fine toothed blade. There is also a danger of the material binding on the blade and causing what I called "snatch" which whips it out of your hands. I put that down to feeding through too slowly.

Like everything it is easy enough to do with the right tool, but it needs care....

PH

Table saw cost is about 100 pounds. A beekeeper needs it many times.

Like this

http://www.toolite.org.uk/woodster-...-23041.html?osCsid=j1lbtbvhri6lj0boue8bl4ps26

This seems nice. Wide sawing table. It is needed often.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69122-230-Volt-500-Watt-Table/dp/B0002GV1D2/ref=sr_1_14?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1338120798&sr=1-14[/ame]

But why the wide table costs as much as the saw itself with narrow table?

Last edited:
Use a band mill,lay quite a few of them on the bed with a narrow plank securing them via the log dogs,then cut them dead accurate in about two seconds flat per batch.

Use a band mill,lay quite a few of them on the bed with a narrow plank securing them via the log dogs,then cut them dead accurate in about two seconds flat per batch.

It is better to sell old stuff and bye new proper stuff.

When I was at school we done a project using polystyrene and used a heated (flame) cheese wire to good effect. Mark up and slice through. Worked a treat as long as the wire wasn't too hot!

I had toyed with the idea of a hot wire but I was just concerned it wouldn't give a straight enough edge.

I haw the saw ready at work so will do some measuring and give it a go.

Latest posts

Back