Cut out with asbestos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started my working life as an apprentice in the early 70's with an engineering company who had a total disregard for H&S. I was sent into an old section of the factory to clear pipe lagging which was clearly asbestos. When I complained I was told its okay, its only white and given a simple dusk mask; then told to get on with the work.
I have been lucky and not (yet) succumbed to asbestosis or mesolthelioma but shudder when I think of the risk I and my family were exposed to.
Currently, I have to enter many old and disused buildings and have undertaken many, many asbestos courses and am very well aware of the risks. However small I would leave well alone if there is any chance of breathing in asbestos, the bees are just not worth it.
S

I wish i hadn't bothered to post this question as this thread is just full of people trying to get one over each other and not actually answering my question.

Maybe its partly my fault as I posted very little information about the asbestos that I was dealing with, its roof sheeting on a bin store, with normal plasterboard below. I had no intension to damage the board but was a little concerned that while removing comb that was attached to it I might have dislodged some flakes. But people that posted on here should have asked me for more info as well.

In the end I have done the cut out with using PPE that was suggested to me by an asbestos removal company, who also came along to help as they were interested in what I was doing.

The suit I wore under an over suit provided by them has also gone in the bin as the housing association that I did the work for has said they will buy me a new one as the mesh was showing while doing the work. I also wore gloves and a respirator that was paid for by them. The roof was left untouched but it was better to take precautions.

I'm really glad that I was helped out by posters on here.

Many Thanks.

I wish i hadn't bothered to post this question as this thread is just full of people trying
to get one over each other and not actually answering my question.

Maybe its partly my fault as I posted very little information...

(edit)

I'm really glad that I was helped out by posters on here.

Many Thanks.

"due diligence" is what rescue prep is all about.
Sooo seeing as how your only contribution to the topic past posting it
is the information (now) you were in consultation with an accredited
person/company then I'd offer your prep passes the pub test.

Now all that's required to complete is to keep the housed colony alive.
Best of Luck with that.

Bill

In the end I have done the cut out with using PPE that was suggested to me by an asbestos removal company, who also came along to help..

Just out of interest,
can you put their risk assessment up on here so everyone who commented can view it?
Might be an education for all of us??

Why would he do that and risk being be pilloried, publicly defiled........ You just have to read this thread to get the picture of how it would end up being played out.

Why should a company share their risk assessments when they have paid to get people trained up for the job ,They would just be undermining themselves.Years ago before I retired one of my responsibilities was risk assessment ,Method statements and permits to work.
The government HSE website was quite handy for hints and tips but most of it is just common sense.

most of it is just common sense.

And here in lies the problem, I don't believe that there is such a thing :D

I too have to complete risk assessments etc for my job, you have to put the most obvious and ridiculous things in them to cover those with zero common sense.

anyone with a modicum of intelligence and construction experience would be fully aware of the risks of Asbestos and take necessary precautions, sadly though there are still plenty around chopping the stuff up with Saws!

I'm glad you got them out in the end, hope they do well for you dpearce4

Years ago a lot less was known about asbestos and it was used in everything from household items to brake shoes.How often did you see a garage mechanic with an air hose blowing out the dust when changing the brakes. Those are the sort of people who now have asbestosis.

Those are the sort of people who now have asbestosis.

Nope.
Like other 'afflictions' nonepidemic diseases are highy selective.
If this wasn't so millions would be in the M'thoma stats, abestos is
that deeply engrained in global industry.

I have my druthers around some info posted here as it seems to me
like "convienient truth" after the fact, posted as excuse moreso
than what actually went on. However I agree posting the "task descriptor"
here is in indeed folly in "casting pearls before swine", given the ascerbic
comments from the bad boys corner.

Bill

Years ago a lot less was known about asbestos and it was used in everything from household items to brake shoes.How often did you see a garage mechanic with an air hose blowing out the dust when changing the brakes. Those are the sort of people who now have asbestosis.

It’s like many building materials, we have yearly asbestos training and they are now starting to say that the long glass fibres in celotex and other solid insulation can not be processed by your lungs so they have no doubt as people dying from asbestos goes down a new wave of people dying will come in. Same with silica dust from cutting blocks with machinery or MDF the list goes on and on. Unfortunately it’s the building trade all that can be done is protecting yourself as much as possible

It always irks me when I pass workmen cutting concrete with a disk cutter ,No eye protection and no mask ,breathing in all the dust. Like it has been said you can write all the risk assessments but some people will never learn.

Bear in mind some of the different diseases associated with asbestos, the main ones being asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma. As is the case with silicosis (from crystalline silica such as in the freshly fractured silica dust from the circular saws and angle grinders cutting concrete) asbestosis is usually associated with longer term workplace type exposure of course. Mesothelioma is an incurable cancer that forms in the pleural lining of the lungs rather than the lungs themselves. The fibre/s pass through the lungs and then go to the pleural area. That cancer can occur with unknown exposure.
My memory is that asbestos is one of the most useful substances known to man, with around 5000 different uses and with use of it increasing in parts of Asia at present. A natural substance, people who live near NOA do have a higher rate of mesothelioma. We have problems identifying where the non NOA is, with some of it is hidden from sight and then disturbed during renovations, even if a building or area is considered or declared clear of it (12 times with the current Royal Hobart redevelopment for instance).

Last edited:
Asbestos everywhere in the UK, 1000's of tons imported over the years. I've run 100's of air tests in pharmaceutical clean rooms and still found it.
As for asbestos related diseases it's similar to smoking/drinking etc.in that there is a large element of genetics but generally increased exposure increases risk.

(edit)
As for asbestos related diseases it's similar to smoking/drinking etc.in that there is a large element of genetics
but generally increased exposure increases risk.

Precisely.
Much of what we live with today is entirely down to Hardies refusing to acknowledge
any responsibilty to their workforce in forcing unsafe work practices, a leftover of those
Lords of industry setting colonial Australia to work and be ruled, they didn't count on
Bernie Banton getting his campaign to air just as Lord Vesty chose to ignore
Vincent Lingiari. IF change had relied on reported documented medical events we would
still be out there cutting asbestos sheeting with guilotine and wheel cutters right now.

Today these dangerous to work with materials still exist everyday in workplaces as another
has mentioned, but thanks to Bernie's action industry leaders today are well tuned in to
promoting and providing safe(er) workplaces.
Still, some individuals choose to opt out for risk over actuality - endangering those in close
proximity.
https://www.berniebanton.com.au/

Bill

Precisely.
Much of what we live with today is entirely down to Hardies refusing to acknowledge
any responsibilty to their workforce in forcing unsafe work practices, a leftover of those
Lords of industry setting colonial Australia to work and be ruled, they didn't count on
Bernie Banton getting his campaign to air just as Lord Vesty chose to ignore
Vincent Lingiari. IF change had relied on reported documented medical events we would
still be out there cutting asbestos sheeting with guilotine and wheel cutters right now.

Today these dangerous to work with materials still exist everyday in workplaces as another
has mentioned, but thanks to Bernie's action industry leaders today are well tuned in to
promoting and providing safe(er) workplaces.
Still, some individuals choose to opt out for risk over actuality - endangering those in close
proximity.
https://www.berniebanton.com.au/

Bill[/QUOTE

Watching the videos of the miners shovelling asbestos into drums as a game at Wittenoom and kids in rolling around in it shows the ignorance across the board not just the government. The effects have been know since the Romans times. But since it doesn’t kill you straight away people ignored it.

It’s not much different to smoking really everyone knows an old lady in her 90s still puffing away or that unlucky one that didn’t make it to 60

Latest posts

Back