Cut out with asbestos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
I will be doing a cutout next week from a roof that has asbestos in it.
Should i dump my suit after or will washing remove any asbestos that might get on it?

Should i dump my suit after or will washing remove any asbestos that might get on it?

You should ask advices from health officers. And are you even allowed to do asbest work. I think that you take a big health risk to ypurself.

Please tell me this is a joke?

Its just not worth the risk.

Better to open fron internet " Health and Safety Asbestos in theUK".

You are not allowed to do that work. You risk others healt too. And you put truck drivers etc into criminal troubles.

Last edited:
I spent 15 years in the asbestos industry. A number of questions you need to ask yourself including: have you checked the most recent regs for working with asbestos? whose roof is it and is the property commercial/domestic? What's the exact material/construction? Is there a way of accessing the bees without disturbing the asbestos? Etc etc.

Personally I'd be thinking along those lines before how to clean your ppe. Best of luck

Asbestos disposal?

Anything exposed must be disposed of in an approved way.

£££££

You do the job wrong and you will find all sorts of (expensive) problems.. And I suspect your client knows that already..

Depends really on what sort of asbestos it is .. If it's just a roof made of corrugated cementitious asbestos sheets in good condition and you are not going to be touching any of it then it's relatively safe as long as it is not disturbed, Full disposable overall over bee suitand dust mask essential - throw the overall away and the dust mask. Wash veil.

If you have to disturb ANY asebestos even in the SMALLEST way or if it is asbestos insulation or the asbestos has started to degrade in any way ,..forget it.

One particle of asbestos in your lungs, if you are unlucky, could mean lung cancer years ahead. Not worth the risk.

A close relative of mine died from mesothelioma from suspected asbestos exposure decades before - it's a long, slow, unpleasant way to go.

Years ago, before this relative developed the condition and I didn't really know much about it, I removed a cupboard from a house that in retrospect I strongly suspect contained asbestos - I often wonder what's in store for me in a couple of decades.

Wouldn't wish that nagging worry on anyone. Please don't take any unnecessary risks.

It's not clear whether the cutout involves cutting the roofing sheets themselves, if it does, walk away. It's your lungs which are at risk from airborne fibres which can be released by rubbing old weathered surfaces on the top or bottom of roofing sheets. If you decide to proceed wear a decent dust mask, and a disposable decorator's overall to save worrying about your suit. White cementitious sheets are much less of a hazard than loose blue asbestos fibres which preceded fibreglass, which is also nasty irritant stuff which lodges in your lungs.

Us older folks have likely had a dose of asbestos anyway. It was used in domestic appliances like toasters, ironing boards and hair driers. Car & train brakes and were full of it, and so the dust at the side of a busy road or in the London underground tunnels were contaminated too. It wasn't banned until 1999.

Anyhow, bee careful!

Being one of those who's existence should have terminated long ago from the
degree of crud inhaled IF there were any cataclismic guaranteed hazard from
airborne molecues (of anything) I'll offer it is the bees what will suffer here, as I can
pretty much guarantee from experience the second you are profiled on a roof
removing sheet (of anything) every OH&S outfit in the area will be getting calls.
Consequently bees will be exposed whilst you deal with that fallout - on the ground
being questioned or made accountable.
As others have noted, there is way more to these jobs than worrying about a beesuit -
something of a danger itself in being worn.

Bill

The asbestos used on roofs/facia and soffit board are fairly low risk..as mentioned previously it is the blue asbestos lagging that needs professional removal..as long as you are not using a grinder you will be fine..I would still wear a mask for peace of mind and bag any you remove and bin it at the correct refuse site.

I take it that it will be corrugated sheet or maybe roofing slates( which most people don't realize contain asbestos). Low risk as long as you don't cut ,grind or do anything that will make dust. Also advisable to take a water spray with you just to dampen things down and stop any dust rising. At the minimum a mask would be required,Most old farm buildings use asbestos on the roof not really a problem as long as you follow a few simple rules. The biggest risk I can see is falling through the roof.

The asbestos used on roofs/facia and soffit board are fairly low risk..as mentioned previously
it is the blue asbestos lagging that needs professional removal..as long as you are not
using a grinder you will be fine..I would still wear a mask for peace of mind and bag any
you remove and bin it at the correct refuse site.

I am referencing the rules here in Aussie for even so much as walking on a Super 6
roof - taboo without accreditation.
I presumed these standards were worldwide for all asbestos products -
my apologies for that connection.

Bill

. . . taboo without accreditation.
I presumed these standards were worldwide for all asbestos products -
my apologies for that connection.

Bill

Requirements are pretty much as any sane person would expect.

However, there's always someone happy to make a quick buck by flaunting legislation then dumping it down some quiet country lane.

+ UK cops are happy to cash in on the overtime to arrest peaceful protesters but too busy scoffing doughnuts to be bothered or even aware of the laws when there's no profit in it for them!!

I worked with a lovely guy who's sister died from asbestos inhallation.

ONE white fibre did for her and she had no connection at all with demolition or construction, seems she was just bloody unlucky.

However, this also highlights the care needed in handling the stuff so that no fibres get released.

I was on a Forties platform, can't remember now if it was Bravo or Alpha when asbestos was found in the accomodation, and they used a pressurised habitat to contain it. The safety officer was tearing his hair out with worry.

It's not something to treat lightly AT ALL.

Please leave it alone. Be sensible.

PH

I am an IOSH trained assesor, also, due to to my job, especially years ago, was in the high risk category for coming into contact with asbestos (regularly on pre 1960's ships - especially Russian flag vessels) so had to have intensive training on asbestos - risks and contact..
Only an idiot would deem this low risk.
I would steer well clear.
I think that contemplating disposing of your beesuit afterwards is a strong indicator that you shouldn't think of taking the job on.

Last edited:
There was an asbestos factory in Leeds. Not only were the workers there affected, so were their wives, who had to launder the dusty overalls, and those who lived in the area. As with smokers, not everyone gets the disease, but if you do, it's horrible.

Latest posts

Back