cut out from ceiling went wrong

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I got called out today to remove bees from a flat roof extension that was been reroofed as it was rotten and leaking and the rest of the house was also been completely refurbished. I removed the last plaster slab that they had left in place when they had discovered the bees. There was a good size brood nest and bees when suddenly a big section of the brood nest and bees departed to 2 floors below with about 20lb of honey on top of them. The comb extremely brittle from the leaking roof. I continued to remove the rest of the comb and suction the remaining bees but did not like the look of the old brood nest and a lot of old sealed brood cells looked like possible AFB. I scraped out the rest of the comb and suctioned up all of the remaining bees. I have since killed off whatever bees i suctioned and the comb is been burnt tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1451937973380.jpg
    1451937973380.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 1451937972861.jpg
    1451937972861.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 176
hi keith

where are you? Do you do many cut outs and do you catch swarms?

jazzygem

Oh dear, all that work.
Still if your diagnosis is correct you have done all the neighbouring beekeepers a great service.

I got called out today to remove bees from a flat roof extension that was been reroofed as it was rotten and leaking and the rest of the house was also been completely refurbished. I removed the last plaster slab that they had left in place when they had discovered the bees. There was a good size brood nest and bees when suddenly a big section of the brood nest and bees departed to 2 floors below with about 20lb of honey on top of them. The comb extremely brittle from the leaking roof. I continued to remove the rest of the comb and suction the remaining bees but did not like the look of the old brood nest and a lot of old sealed brood cells looked like possible AFB. I scraped out the rest of the comb and suctioned up all of the remaining bees. I have since killed off whatever bees i suctioned and the comb is been burnt tomorrow.

Don't you have a reporting requirement in your area? At the least you could have had official confirmation of the presence of or absence of AFB and appropriate warnings circulated.

hi keith

where are you? Do you do many cut outs and do you catch swarms?

jazzygem
I am in Dublin and would do about 10 cuts out in a year with a beekeeping buddy. Not all of them work and I charge.

Don't you have a reporting requirement in your area? At the least you could have had official confirmation of the presence of or absence of AFB and appropriate warnings circulated.

Yes, Ireland has reporting requirements for a bunch of bee diseases: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/listofnotifiablediseases/

However, AFB turns up every year in a couple of locations so we're all on the lookout for the signs i.e. circulation of warnings isn't really necessary.

It is a notifiable disease however, though what the powers that be, do when notified is not clear.
Unfortunately there are more than a couple of outbreaks each year. It used to be a relatively rare disease, but that does not seem to be the case nowadays.

It used to be a relatively rare disease, but that does not seem to be the case nowadays.
Probably because people are not notifying when it is discovered and the proper bio-security measures are then not put in place.
It's notifiable for a reason

Back