feb cut out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i mentioned in august i was going to try a cut out at a friends cottage.

I decided to try in feb when colony and stores were smaller so had a go today.

Couldnt find the queen as awkward to get to, so handled as i would a swarm with as many bees from main combs as i could into nuc with QEX setting at front and have left to go back later to see if clustered back in original nest site, or nuc etc

broadly correct?IMG_6040.jpgIMG_6041.jpgIMG_6042.jpgIMG_6043.jpg

I would have only attempted that when the bees were really flying well! Hope it works.

I’d get them back as soon as you can and add some warm syrup try and ensure cluster is aligned with the feed hole and trickle some in. If you’ve got any spare frames of honey use those.

go back later
Looks like a success, though it's often too disruptive to a colony at this time of year.
Trust that before repairs begin that you'll go back to scrape & hoover out every morsel of nest and splash it with a strongly-scented something.

Looks like a success, though it's often too disruptive to a colony at this time of year.
Trust that before repairs begin that you'll go back to scrape & hoover out every morsel of nest and splash it with a strongly-scented something.
Yes, will clean it out and fill void with cellotex

As an aside... shame about all those figs going to waste!
They were probably not ripe enough to pick ... they are best removed in the autumn except for the pea sized fruit buds which should develop into fruit the following year ..

update

they were looking good through clear cb in nuc yesterday....gave them 3 frames of stores and wondering about some fondant just to be sure but stores should prob do it
As long as they can get to the new frames of stores or are in some contact with them. If they have brood on the frames they are covering they could be reluctant to move if it gets cold….just fyi

As long as they can get to the new frames of stores or are in some contact with them. If they have brood on the frames they are covering they could be reluctant to move if it gets cold….just fyi
yup.....there was no brood when i put them in but used two frames from cut out and added 3 frames of stores....6 frame poly nuc so they should be ok as they were on all frames when i looked in yesterday

Out of interest, what is the best 'strongly-scented something' people have found to use?

Beequick is used to drive bees out of supers, I think it smells like almonds. But I doubt it’ll last as long as the wax oils. Expanding foam is likely your best friend.

Last edited:
Beequick is used to drive bees out of supers, I think it smells like almonds. But I doubt it’ll last as long as the wax oils. Expands foam is likely your best friend.
I agree with Ian although I have known bees to excavate in expanding foam to access a desirable location. When I do a cut out I use Beequick and pack the void with glass fibre insulation.

Thanks all- I've two to do on one roof this season. Two separate dormers on a house, definitely different colonies. The whole roof is coming off, so access won't be an issue- just wondering how best to clean up so as to avoid recolonisation.

trongly-scented something
Years ago I was given a joke aftershave (I never wear it) called Midnight Cowboy, and it was so overpowering it worked a treat on beekeeping jobs. Regret the day I was helping a beekeeper to get a swarm down, because he trod on and smashed it, and it seems to be rather expensive now...

Latest posts

Back