Cut Comb timing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
Hi all,

I had to move a hive this weekend so took some supers off to make it lighter. I singled out 4 frames to make cut comb but plan only to sell it in October.
I noticed that my runny honey forms cristals after about 6 months. would it be best to leave the combs in the hive untill needed? reasoning the warmth in the hive prevents cristal formation until taken out or cut it now after an overnight freeze?

Cut the combs and store them in their containers in the deep freeze.

why storage in the freezer? does that prevent christalization?

surely must have some negative effect on the honey ??

if the container is air tight it should be fine. if air can get in, you will have a lot of moisture from the air condense on the comb when you defrost.
I would expect you'd get faster cristalisation in the freezer but the 2 gentlemen above seem to have a different experience...

Ideal temperature for crystallisation is 14 to 15 C . Above and below that temperature the rate of crystallisation slows down and at -18C it just doesn't happen.

Just remember to take the card covers off before putting it in the freezer
I have even managed to use a comb cutter on deep frozen comb..... a 4lb lump hammer helps!

Yeghes da

You learn every day! Do you also freeze liquid honey then?

that's what we do but obviously, no warming is better for the honey...

surely must have some negative effect on the honey ??

It is the same as it was when it went in the freezer. You wouldn't be able to say that if you;d left it in a cupboard.

if the container is air tight it should be fine. if air can get in, you will have a lot of moisture from the air condense on the comb when you defrost.
I would expect you'd get faster cristalisation in the freezer but the 2 gentlemen above seem to have a different experience...

Not just the two above. Everybody who has frozen cut comb will tell you the same. It's the same coming out of the freezer as going in. It does not crystalise any quicker - trust me.

Stops c crystals and absolutely no effect on honey. Why should it?

Not saying it does, don't know, thought maybe might change composition negatively in some way , perhaps alter certain oils, enzymes ? Again question rather than statement .

Fir instance they say Salmon frozen is not as good as fresh

Not saying it does, don't know, thought maybe might change composition negatively in some way , perhaps alter certain oils, enzymes ? Again question rather than statement .

Fir instance they say Salmon frozen is not as good as fresh

salmon contains a lot of water. the cristals damage the muscle fibers when freezing

Latest posts

Back