Creosote

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i

I'm not going to use the creosote on the hives , Its seems that the chicken club offers
this stuff for sale in 25 ltr plastice barrels.

I used creosote on the coop when I kept chickens as it used to kill the red mite and knowing that I never used on the hive itself , but I did have a problem with ants and I used 4 tins one on each of the legs of the stand filled with a small amout and the problem was solved very quickly

Grub

Well sorry to say I have Adam and tasted it more to the point and it was so bad it actually burnt my tongue.

PH

Those that I know that treat it, use it after a very dry December/January (e.g not every year but can be quite a few years) before the colonies become active, and on the brood chambers only. By the time the colonies become very active, I guess it would have had some exposure to the weather. These are beekeepers selling tonnes of honey per year.

As I said, I don't use it, I stick to these water based fence treatments which have some waxy stuff in them I think in various colours. I use a different colour for each year that I treat things, so I can work out how long since the last treatment of any particular item. I batch things so all brood chambers one year, stands another, supers another, etc etc which means I am treating things every 3-4 years.

Just think creosote was an ingredient of most propriety cough medicines :conehead:.

John Wilkinson

An ingredient in Victory-V lozenges I believe :) but not Fisherman's Friend.

I used creosote on the coop when I kept chickens as it used to kill the red mite and knowing that I never used on the hive itself , but I did have a problem with ants and I used 4 tins one on each of the legs of the stand filled with a small amout and the problem was solved very quickly

Grub
Ants, some people reckon ants do more good than harm in a beehive . I've never seen a colony overrun by them . Dogs roll on an ant hill to annoy the ant into squirting formic acid into their fur to get rid of fleas :coolgleamA:.
Maybe a totally natural way to reduce varroa numbers :Angel_anim:.

John Wilkinson

Still use creosote on my hives and have been doing so for years with no known problems

Sherwood surely now is the time to stop as it has been declared it is cancerous

Last edited:
creosote stinks, my neighbours splatter all over their sheds in the summer, I also discovered this morning they had shot through my greenhouse with an air rifle, strange lot husband nice, wife enormous, sort of OK her lover - grossly ugly and awful and they all live together - the lover in one of the sheds. Put it all down to creosote - don't do it! Also shot at our oil tank, apparently the lover was trying to kill squirrels. Oh and I heard that ants eat varroa that drop through the mesh.:iamwithstupid:

>Sherwood surely noe is the time to stop as it has been declared it is cancerous.

So are many things,if you avoid everything thats supposed to be carcinogenic you would be better of born dead,oxalic acid,tar up chimney,exhaust fumes,the sun,man made radiation,and hundreds of other things. Creosote,probably cancerous,not is.

Last edited:
please dont to carried away

when creosote was used to preserve timber there was little or any other product to use to in its time it was the best way to preserve timber, evan now it still has it uses and is some times the best option to use, mid shire farmers as was sells the modern version for £28 + vat per 25 litres and the local shop sells 2 litres for £6, the true creosote of old is still avalible to buy, its just for some areas like stands its great for the hive i would prefere to use a sadolin my self

forgot to say its only the old type thats cancerous not the new version thats freely avalible

i still would not use the petroleum based creosote on beehives

looking thru the thread wightbees source of creosote is a modern one, but it is still has insecticide properties

Creosote substitute is good for wood in contact with the ground- fence posts, compost bins, but apart from the smell, its's a horrible colour that makes whatever you treat with it an eyesore. Fence panels should be green!

Back