• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

creamed honey wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gill68

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I would like to try turning my latest lot of honey ( bees have obviously hunted for and found some OSR from somewhere!) into creamed honey; at least it will be less like lard!
The trouble is that i am having trouble sourcing any already creamed honey as a 'starter". Would anyone have any that I could purchase to start me off? I only have about 8kg of honey so hardly loads, so as far as I can work out I would need a couple of pounds. I live in Dorset, but am happy to pay p and p if anyone is happy to post. I need to get a move on as a house move is on the cards within the next month.
Really really grateful ( grovel, grovel!) for anyone to help me out.

Hi, I would take a pound of you own honey a break it up with a pestle and morter. As your only making a small batch.

Or put it in a food processor, mix it till you get the right consistency.

Worked a treat last year when I sold all my seed.

creamed honey

hi gill my bees collect osr so need to cream my honey I did it last year without a starter just let it go hard for a few weeks then put it in a warming cabinet then I creamed it in my kenwood its turned out loverly ,still got some and its still ok so just give it a try
denise

Thanks for that; I will give it a try. Good to know it works ok without a starter. Denise, when you say that you put it in your warming cabinet, did you just soften it or was it to completely melt it down before putting in your kenwood? By a 'kenwood' do you mean a mixer or a food processor? I'm assuming a mixer? Thanks so much for your help.

hi gill first time I did it I did not have a warming cabinet so I put it in sink and run some very warm water round it till it went soft but not runny then put it in kenwood that part where you mix cakes for about 5 mins and it worked ok but make sure its really soft or you will burn your motor out its easy
denise ps, let me know how you go on

Thanks Denise,

I actually already had the honey in a warming cabinet and it was nicely soft. Being the impatient sort, I had a go. I did do it in the food processor rather than my kitchen aid as I hadn't read your reply at that point, but its now jarred ( with a little one as a tester!) How long did you find it took to get to its final consistency? I'll let you know how it turns out; it tasted good, a bit more flavour than straight OSR so fingers crossed....!
Thanks again.
Gill

I did a small 'sampler' for us to try and it's worked a treat; just the right consistency, so s huge thanks for your help Denise and 'foxylad'!

hi gill its easy when you know how just a bit messy, What you need now is one of those creamers you fit on a drill it will be a lot better then anyway glad its worked for you
denise

Latest posts

Back