Countryfile

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anybody watch last night's
Having seen this set up and similar pictures in the press some weeks ago I wondered whether you could make sedative honey ;)

Attachments

• opium.jpg
    opium.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 16
Did anybody watch last night's
Having seen this set up and similar pictures in the press some weeks ago I wondered whether you could make sedative honey ;)

Yes .. I watched the program and was amazed at how much acreage is given over to Opium poppies in the UK. Apparently, honey bees will readily take pollen from the poppies and it does not contain any opiates as the opiates are actually only found in the seed pods and the stalks immediately below the seed head and do not develop until the seeds are forming.

But .. if you knew where these fields were and could site your hives next to them I'm sure there would be a ready market for Opium Poppy Honey !!

I'm certain that Finman with his vast knowledge of everything will be along shortly to contradict me ... seems it's his favourite current pastime after the Vodka ...

I'm certain that Finman with his vast knowledge of everything will be along shortly to contradict me ... seems it's his favourite current pastime after the Vodka ...

It's a pity he will never appreciate the nuances of a decent British ale.

Poppy flowers do not secrete nectar (bees only visit them for pollen) so no chance of any poppy honey.

on bbc iplayer 2113 min into filming you can see the bees have got a nest in the lions mouth

Last edited:
Personally I think we shouldn't be growing these here. We should be buying the product from the Afgans where it grows much better and pay a better price than the drug barons it would reduce the amount of drugs on the streets and give the afgans a much better life style instead of destroying them. But then Big drug co wouldn't be able to control the business so well.

Personally I think we shouldn't be growing these here. We should be buying the product from the Afgans where it grows much better and pay a better price than the drug barons it would reduce the amount of drugs on the streets and give the afgans a much better life style instead of destroying them. But then Big drug co wouldn't be able to control the business so well.

I would agree with that .. it was a bit worrying when the programme revealed that only one company in the UK was licensed to grow and process these poppies ...

:iagree::iagree:
What happened to slicing the poppy heads and stripping off the dried opium gum?
The stuff the chap had looked like cattle nuts.
They will be spraying them with something nasty next.

I once travelled by train across Turkey and woke in the early hours to see opium poppies as far as the eye could see. At breakfast I asked one of the train staff about them and he vehemently denied what I had seen. I thought it best not to push the point and changed the subject.

:iagree::iagree:
What happened to slicing the poppy heads and stripping off the dried opium gum?
The stuff the chap had looked like cattle nuts.
They will be spraying them with something nasty next.

I once travelled by train across Turkey and woke in the early hours to see opium poppies as far as the eye could see. At breakfast I asked one of the train staff about them and he vehemently denied what I had seen. I thought it best not to push the point and changed the subject.

Interesting life you've led ;) I wondered the same about slicing and scraping, it's what I've seen in the past.

Latest posts

Back