Country file / oil seed rape and Buck wheat .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think it would be needed this season. What little OSR I’ve seen planted looks in fantastic order
My understanding is that it is no longer financially profitable, the benefit is to the soil, the roots have nutrient value and are a very good conditioner

The withdrawal of neonics has made it a much higher risk crop - the main risk being lack of crop establishment in a dodgy autumn. This autumn growing conditions this year have been exceptional in many areas. Some of these OSR crops could end up being 'too good' over winter, if we get heavy snow that lays them flat. Who'd be a farmer!

Eat loads of Buckwheat when I,m in Ukraine,nothing like it with a bit of salo(pork fat) and some shkvarky (crackling) on top.
I will send the recipe to my neighbor who is one of Ginsters managers..... always looking for new and novel fillings!

Yeghes da

The withdrawal of neonics has made it a much higher risk crop - the main risk being lack of crop establishment in a dodgy autumn. This autumn growing conditions this year have been exceptional in many areas. Some of these OSR crops could end up being 'too good' over winter, if we get heavy snow that lays them flat. Who'd be a farmer!

Me... But not arable.
A stockman I be.

Definitely financially viable, and the farmer has planted the field in front of my house with OSR this autumn on rotation and it's growing well. So looking forward to a good year for a change. Problem has been with flea beetle reducing farmers' yields in recent years though I see no buckwheat in the mix.

Latest posts

Back