Cost of beekeeping and poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are poly nucs prices too high?

• Total voters
Honeypaw''s roof and floor to the nuc box
Boath are 10 €.

Box 15 + 10+ 10 = 35€. Quite much. + picking or posting costs?

But to me poly box prices have not rised much.
Very easy to make roofs and floors DIY from ply and from polystyrene board.

Are polyhives expencive, it depends how you use your money.

Last edited:
Glad I've got all the poly nuc boxes I need when they were £30-40 (14*12) Few around here will cough up more than £180 for an over-wintered 6 frame nuc (including the box!).
Maybe I should put some slick videos on YouTube 🤔😂😂

I've just bought 2x 14x12 wooden Nuc boxes, a couple of floors and x4 supers. Didn't get enough change for a curry out of £900.00. But it keeps me out of mischief, so the cost is priceless. It costs me more because I buy ready assembled, I can't knock a nail in straight to save my life.

If you have not got good woodwork skills buy the poly broodboxes so you have the perfect beespace but make your floors, roofs and crown boards and you can make a poly hive (brood and a couple of supers for less than £100 with little effort. Remember to paint the poly boxes with masonry paint to keep them for a long time!! My oldest ones will be 45 years old this season and still going well. My picture at the side has two poly boxes combined to make a long hive to try this year.

depends where they were bought - wooden nucs cost an arm and a leg, makes the cost of a poly nuc look like peanuts.
Yes of course, I was forgetting the price some companies charge for them.

You can never accuse NBS of having reasonably priced kit - they've always been the same.
I can well remember back in the days of Exeter bee supplies feeling like I'd been mugged every time I left old Mrs Smiths (Smythes) office.

Last edited:
Indeed

Caddon charge £97 for an assembled 6 frame national cedar nuc, which sounded a lot
Then I saw that Thornes charge £162. £162!!!

Given this, it's hard to see how a poll can decide that poly nuc prices are too high ..... more than they used to be, certainly, but too high?

Indeed

Caddon charge £97 for an assembled 6 frame national cedar nuc, which sounded a lot

I know pallet based nucs may not last as long as cedar, but at those prices I can make between 6 and 10 nucs from pallet wood...

Indeed

Given this, it's hard to see how a poll can decide that poly nuc prices are too high ..... more than they used to be, certainly, but too high?
Blimey, at that price I'd want bees and a years supply of Formic Pro thrown in!

I think we all know that only very wealthy people would buy a nuc fully constructed for that sort of money. Most here would always knock up an acceptable alternative for a fraction of that price.
My cedar nucs cost < £10 in material cost.

We are the victims of the amateur in the UK, it's that simple. If Langstroth was the norm then prices would be much lower.

Every poly maker has been pressurised into modding the entrance, the feeder the blahblah... and it COSTS.

PH

We are the victims of the amateur in the UK, it's that simple. If Langstroth was the norm then prices would be much lower.

Every poly maker has been pressurised into modding the entrance, the feeder the blahblah... and it COSTS.

PH

Amateurs with loads of money and no purchasing acumen.
(Obviously not Scottish) :cool:

......or take responsibility or marketing decisions of poly-nuc manufacturers and suppliers. ;)
I'd like to lock them in a room for a week and let them out only when they arrive at one standard design and agree to manufacture collectively.

Back