Correx Nuc: is DIY possible

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
As a result of posting several swarm picture i received several request for details of how the correx boxes are made

ok they are not made by me but i disassemble between use as these 14x12 correx boxes have lots of nooks and crannies for dead bees and crud to collect

see picture of it in flat pack below for those who wanted the photo....so would it be possible to make one DIY..? what would it cost, perhaps simplfy it and vent in side or floor...the entrance is a side flap for those who have not used 14x12 correx boxes

Last edited:
Last year I looked at the Correx / Card boxes supplies by the Spanish Apiary supply firm, but were only made in non National size, Dadant or Langstroth's sizes only worked out about 50p each
There is a possible supplier in the UK, but given their credibility rating somewhere less than the square root of minus 1, was loath to send a cheque in the hope that they may send something... definitely a market for Correx National Nucs in strandard and 14 x 12 sizes.. especially if an OMF and a feeder could be incorporated.

Icanhopit ,whos the Spanish Apiary supply firm ?

There are several suppliers in the UK of correx national sized nuc boxes. I saw some at Fragi1e P1anet. Prices seem a bit high at 10-12 quid each if Spanish are quoting 50p. A 2440x1220 sheet of the biplex fluted polypropylene sheets (avoiding the Correx trade mark) are around 10 quid a sheet for smallish bundles of the 4mm relatively rigid stuff. The 2.5mm floor covering is cheaper and you could always use more layers. Maybe 3 out of one sheet? If the Spanish version is really 50p I'd have a go at that with a Stanley knife.

The commercially produced boxes are complete with tabs and folds but a DIY equivalent would be a lot simpler with taped joins and you could include a deeper roof to take a feeder. Seems an ideal use for any correx that you have for recycling.

Last edited:
Last year I looked at the Correx / Card boxes supplies by the Spanish Apiary supply firm, but were only made in non National size, Dadant or Langstroth's sizes only worked out about 50p each
There is a possible supplier in the UK, but given their credibility rating somewhere less than the square root of minus 1, was loath to send a cheque in the hope that they may send something... definitely a market for Correx National Nucs in strandard and 14 x 12 sizes.. especially if an OMF and a feeder could be incorporated.

yep, i took a chance and bought two for £15, unfortunately our William is the only source of 14x12 correx nuc i have seen

Oh, thanks. Haven't got one of those. Is there anything else that works well?

Hot glue guns are only a fiver to buy ...
Normally called "hot melt" glue guns.
There's also "warm melt" (safer for kids and used by florists...)
That well-known auction website has a seller asking less than £4 (inc delivery) for a Rolson-branded dual-heat jobbie.
They ain't expensive and are useful to have around.
Someone was even suggesting using hot melt glue (rather than molten beeswax) to secure starter strips in Apidea/Keiller frames/bars ...
They may even have uses beyond beekeeping!

As a result of posting several swarm picture i received several request for details of how the correx boxes are made

ok they are not made by me but i disassemble between use as these 14x12 correx boxes have lots of nooks and crannies for dead bees and crud to collect

see picture of it in flat pack below for those who wanted the photo....so would it be possible to make one DIY..? what would it cost, perhaps simplfy it and vent in side or floor...the entrance is a side flap for those who have not used 14x12 correx boxes

just got info back from company we deal with, to set up and finished item £38.00 + vat + delivey each ah well blue peter job me thinks

just got info back from company we deal with, to set up and finished item £38.00 + vat + delivey each ah well blue peter job me thinks

just came back to me can make them cheaper if ordered by the 1000 has any body got any thoughts or diffrent types or ideas

Latest posts

Back