Help regarding Maisemore Polyhive and possible adaption

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

matt.the.shep 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Thanks for the suggestion MC, but the idea of looking towards a long hive is that I don't have to lift anything off to look at the brood, other than a roof and crownboard. The weight of the boxes becomes more or less irrelevant here, it is just my choice of construction method/material I was trying to sort out. I think it is probably a non starter and I will have to use wood but I know the bees like the poly where I am.
Hi Amanda,

There is a UK Long Hive group on facebook (if you do facebook) that you are more than welcome to join, there's a chap on there that makes long hives from old fridges

Cheers
Matt

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hey guys,

It's an old thread but I'm Matt from Hyde Hives, if we can assist or advice then give us a shout as we're always happy to help. I've never seen a poly long hive so if you have made one I think it's a world first.
A Beehaus? 😬

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I rebate the sides of a flatpack hive as a routine. These are Langstroth hives (I think from HoneyPaw) and I use a circular saw along the long side to cut out a rebate. The waste is then stuck into the original rebate to square up the box. I also cut the appropriate amount off the bottom of these boxes to make them National depth. I do this to use national frames which then allow two extra frames compared to a standard national box. Basically the hive is used at right angles to what was intended. I shorten the lugs of the frames so that the bee space is perfect ie Smith lugs. This was born out of the fact that I had loads of national frames and did not really want heavy Langstroth brood boxes to lift. To make supers I get three supers out of 2 Langstroth poly broods with the appropriate cutting. There are bits of polystyrene left ove and I use these as ekes in the winter to give space for fondant feeding in the winter. I glue the parts of the poly hives together with gorilla glue and use long decking screws to strengthen the joints. I finish the hive with dark brown smooth masonry paint which has kept my oldest poly hives in good nick for 42 years now. I make my own floors and roofs. I am sure the long hive would be possible. Correct measuring is essential but with a circular saw guide it is easy once set up.

Last edited:

amandaj57 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 + 3 nucs
Thanks for the info Garry. It is good to know the poly will rebate successfully and not disintegrate.
I have taken the plunge and ordered the flatpack poly broods in the sale (will feel less annoying if it all goes horribly wrong) and once I have finished my current work contracts, I will have a go.
I will report back on the success (or lack of) in due course.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Thanks for the info Garry. It is good to know the poly will rebate successfully and not disintegrate.
I have taken the plunge and ordered the flatpack poly broods in the sale (will feel less annoying if it all goes horribly wrong) and once I have finished my current work contracts, I will have a go.
I will report back on the success (or lack of) in due course.
Just to make it clear I don't use a router- it is a cut along the length with a circular saw and then at right angles to that to take out the rebate. For cutting the sides of the Langstroth to give me the National depth I use a bandsaw.

Bee Bumble 

House Bee
Reaction score
You could consider an AZ hive:- AZ Hives

The frames slide out so the heaviest weight you would have to lift would be one frame. Did you see this thread?

Bal Evi 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
I know the thread is old, but are you still interested in possible easy to build long hives?IMG_1411[1].JPG Here's one I built out of pallets last winter!

Latest posts